Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

newbie needs some answers :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needs some answers :)

My first post..Hi to all

I have some questions.

My drivers side heated seat wont work,the pass does...Where should I look for the problem??

The abs light goes on after driving for 5 minutes then goes back off....What are the commen problems?

Theres a vacume line right above the drivers side headlight,it was unplugged and has good vacume,it looks like it goes into the trhottle body...does anyone know why it would be disconnected? or what its for??

HOW MUCH BOOST DOES THIS CAR PUSH, according to what ive seen 7.7 to 9.1 lbs...Where should the needle on the stock guage be when in full boost?

My dash compute,tripometer,temp, thing dont light up at night,is that normal?

The wipers on the headlight only work when I put the washerfluid on....Is that normal?

Is there a gas lid popper somewhere??

According to the old owner it uses 1qt per 1500miles. The car has 170k miles,there is some slight smoke from the tail sometimes.I read that theres some type of oil trap that clogs under the ex manifold, can anyone tell me more about this?So I can see if this is why it smokes.IM going to do a compression test.

IF YOU CAN ANSWER 1 OR ALL OF THE QUESTIONS PLEASE ,,,ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thanks
Dan

Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: newbie needs some answers :)

Seat...
Chances are the heating element in the seat is broken.

ABS...
The modules go bad in these cars if you search the forum there is a guy named vic (forget the last name) who will repair them and make them a billion times better than the standard OEM.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/abstrax.php

Vac line...
Not sure why it would be unplugged if the elbow is bad it's possible that it couldn't hold the line anymore

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/vacuum_lines.php

Gas lid...
Sounds like the locking mechanism is broken. There is a manual release in the trunk behind the interior trim.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/mgasrelease.php

The oil trap is part of the PCV system and is loacated under the intake manifold, not the exaust manifold. If you think you're going to do that service replace the entire system in one shot, you can get the parts from Groton.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850oiltrapturbo.htm

Old 10-15-2006, 12:43 AM

Thank you so much..

That vacume line holds fine..I think the old owner may have unplugged it in an attempt to make the blowby less active.

with the gas cap....I meant where is the actual button to open it inside the car? but knowing about the emergency cord is cool

Where can i get new switches for the heated seat? I think the switch is dead,the passenger side works....ARE THEY BOTH TIED TOGETHER FOR POWER AND GROUND RELAY???

Old 10-15-2006, 01:13 AM

As far as I knew/know the 850s didn't have an electronic release on the fuel door and that they were all manual opening.

I doubt the switch itself is bad, but the dealer or a junk yard would probably be your best bet for a switch. I would suggest pulling the swtich and testing it with a multimeter before buying a new switch. You'll have to pull it to replace it so if it's bad just leave it out and get a new one.

I have the same problem where the passenger side works, but I just haven't put the time into figuring out since it hasn't been cold out.

Wiring Diagram
http://www.volvotechinfo.com/WD123/

Old 10-15-2006, 01:36 AM

Thanx for the replys!

Awsome diagrams and info verry helpfull.

IM going to try the pass side switch on the drivers side to see whats up....u shold try it also

let me ask you.......as far as the blowby from the oilcap and dipstick..Have you seen many posters or the such,having smoke being blown out the tailpipe from a clogged pcv system??

It makes sense that pressure would push the oil up past the rings into the combustion chamber if it isnt venting.And it will eventually blow out seals also if it gets reallllly clogged up right?
right now...its blowing a little smoke here and there and the oil cap is leaking oil out of it verry lightly,but when i pull the dipstick and oil cap ,the blow by is there,you can see the burning oil coming out of it.

I been reading all nite and .....and ran across someone saying theres a few hoses in back of the p/s pump,i just discovered some hissing right behind the p/s pump today and was baffled!!! maybe thats the problem?i will see tomorrow

Old 10-15-2006, 02:20 AM

I can't honestly remember off the top of my head if people were reporting smoke out of the tail pipe or not but your theory sounds reasonable.

As far as hissing behind the power steering pump it could be part of the PCV system.

The following is a picture of my engine with the intake off and one hose missing from the breather box. It should give you an idea of what's behind your intake.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...0/P5261668.jpg

Old 10-15-2006, 02:39 AM

that pic isnt working

Old 10-15-2006, 02:48 AM

hmmmm....

[IMG]local://upfiles/1385/CBCDF4869A9E47D79AE3F27552FA8832.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 AM

THANKS ..... do you know what vacume line is right above the drivers side headlight? its a thin plastic hard line with a 1 inch rubber connector,leads toward the throttle body in one direction,in the other its toward the headlight or fender.. it would be right around where the dipstick is in your pic,but its tied to the radiator support right near the headlight.

it was disconnected....and when i asked the seller he seemed sheepish but played stupid...it has good vacume..it prlly came off that tree i see hiding behind there..maybe a charcoal can in the fender? the headlights or headlight wipers dont use vacume for anything right?

Old 10-15-2006, 03:24 AM

Couldn't tell you anything certain on that line. If you had a picture of where both ends of the line are someone might be able to give you an answer.

Wipers don't use vac for anything that I'm aware of.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:09 AM

Answers to a couple of your other questions. Gas cap door locks when car doors locked and unlocks when opened, no separate lock. Headlight washers operate only on the three sweep windshield washer/wiper cycle according to the 94 Turbo owners manual.