Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Traction Control & ABS Question(s)/Issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction Control & ABS Question(s)/Issue(s)

Hi all! I recently bought a '95 850 Turbo with actual mileage unknown (but stuck just over 162k).

The car's tracs and abs lights come on with a bunch of others when first starting the car and then go out right away normally enough.

My question is in regards to the following: when I press the tracs button on the console to turn the tracs 'off' the light does not come on....in my previous 850 (a '96 850T), the tracs light would come on and stay on.

Is there a problem with my traction control? The first time I drove in the rain recently it felt and sounded like there was no traction control. Wheels seems to spin uncharacteristically on the wet pavement from a dead stop.

Also, the first time I was forced to really hit the breaks hard, there was no familiar or characteristic ABS stuttering, do I have a issue here?? There are no console lights on ....maybe this is a separate issue but I have noticed traction and abs are usually lumped together.

Any advice or comments?

By the way, have already utilized several repair fixes procedures here. Great stuff. THANKS to all!

Last edited by PerthX; 04-20-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take advantage of your OBD I system, pull your ABS codes first and clear them see which ones come back.
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/a3.html

Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Yikes!! So many codes...would not allow me to "clear" them.

Codes found were 141, 211, 213, 214 and then 411, 412, 413 then 421, 422, then 444....How bad is this? Simple fuses or something much much worse?

Decided to check engine codes and found 221, 231, and 241(which is what my CEL is all about) but hopefully will get these sorted when the PCV is cleaned/replaced and the EGR is cleaned out.

Thankfully no codes for the transmission. Also took the time to read the actual mileage, 'only' 55k miles more than broken odometer, YIKES! Wish I knew about this before I bought the car, before I even started looking for a car!

Last edited by PerthX; 04-21-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by PerthX
Yikes!! So many codes...would not allow me to "clear" them.
Yes, it will let you clear the codes as soon as you read them all. I wouldn't worry about the old codes which could be 10 years old, rather check and see which ones come back after all been cleared.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 AM

I went back and reread ALL the codes another time. The intructions over at Volvospeed said,

"Now to clear the codes, push and hold the button for 6-7 seconds, release and as soon as the LED comes on push and hold the button for another 6-7 seconds. Now push the button for one second and read the codes again, you should get 1-1-1 (no faults)."

When I push the button the LED comes on immediately. I have tried to just press momentarily, as it lights up right away, and then hold for 6-7 seconds (all the time it is lit). I have tried just holding the button down for 6-7 sec 2x in a row with no better luck. I even tried holding it down for almost 30 seconds hoping maybe the light would go off and allow me to proceed but no such luck.

Any suggestions?

As a follow up, a car guy I know suggested I be very literal. Go through the codes until the first one repeats. Then hold the button down for 6 sec as exact as I can, wait 2 seconds and do again.... well that cleared my #2 port but gave no such luck on the #3 port. Will try again and again to see if I can get it to clear.

Last edited by PerthX; 04-22-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Default How to clear the codes

Figured out the code clearing deal....press the button for 1-3 seconds...wait for the 3 digit code to blink at you. On my 95 850T I had to press the button each time for 1-3 seconds to elicit each code.

After cycling though all the codes, when you get a repeat, you can now clear the codes: hold the button down for 6-7 seconds. Then, WAIT for the light to go on by itself and press the second time for 6-7 seconds. That did the trick.

However, because it is so late here, I will drive a bit tomorrow and see what if anything comes back and we can maybe get to the point of this thread and determine what if any real problems I have with Trax and ABS.

Thanks for your patience.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Ok all the codes are clear, drove car around for 30 minutes at varying speeds, hit the breaks soft, hit them hard. No codes came back (as of yet).

However, when I turn off the tracs button, the light still does not go on as it used to do in my previous 850T.

So back to my original question and concern, is there a problem with my traction control and possibly my ABS system?

Any advice or comments? Anybody want to take a stab at it???

Old 04-24-2010, 09:04 AM

This is what I would do if its up to me;
1, clean all the wheel sensors and rings;
2, if nothing happens after cleaning, I would look for a known working ABS module(w/ tracts, usually has a blue label on it) to swap, that will tell you if your controller is at fault.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM

Thanks Al. I will give that a go at some point and see what happens. Already thought about finding a ABS module but seems the one bone yard I went to said they pull them immediately and have nada currently...will expand my scope on that front now. By the way, where exactly do I find the ABS module on an '95 850T, any ideas??

Meanwhile, the A2 241 code came back but my PCV and EGR will get worked on sometime this week and hopefully that will clear that CEL code for good.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM

Give these guys a CALL, see what they got.
http://stores.ebay.com/Used-Volvo-Pa...Erie-VoVo.html