Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Noise From Front Passenger Side (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/noise-front-passenger-side-52557/)

vjaneczko 04-17-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 266967)
I may have to hit you up in a few months when I have to do the timing belt/water pump.

Hey, that's on MY list of stuff to do this summer, too!

_HighVoltage_ 04-17-2011 09:26 PM

$200 isn't too bad. They charged me $170 when mine broke in NJ (that's parts and labor...yeah it wasn't the OEM spring sear, but it was an emergency I didn't have 2 days to wait for a good one)

If you change your mind and decide to do it yourself there are a couple of tips:
- a second set of helping hands in very useful, especially to hold the strut assembly straight when you are compressing the spring
- do it in a quiet environment with no music. If you hear even the slightest "ping" when the spring is compressed...RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

MattyXXL 04-18-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_ (Post 267051)
.RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

But you have to yell "DUCK AND COVER PEOPLE!!"

vjaneczko 04-18-2011 07:24 PM

A great compressor at a good price:
Single Action Strut Spring Compressor

docmot 04-18-2011 08:26 PM

I just finished replacing the struts, timing belt and water pump, and a PCV kit on an '97 850T wagon. The struts, even with a spring that could kill is still a walk in the park compared to working on the front engine components.

If you are considering front engine work for the first time, read every post and every hint that anyone has offered, then read them all again.

brianb 04-19-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by vjaneczko (Post 267175)
A great compressor at a good price:
Single Action Strut Spring Compressor

I'm a little leery about Harbor Freight tools that you rely on to, well, keep you from getting killed like jack stands. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from them like screw drivers and torque bits. Some stuff has been crap, others have been sufficient. Not quite Craftsman or Snap-On quality.

JimKW 04-19-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 267260)
I'm a little leery about Harbor Freight tools that you rely on to, well, keep you from getting killed like jack stands. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from them like screw drivers and torque bits. Some stuff has been crap, others have been sufficient. Not quite Craftsman or Snap-On quality.

+1

I really like Harbor Freight to tools, but not for something that could be life threatening if it failed. The spring compressors I got from Advance Auto worked fine, but I stay away from the front of them and stay to the side.

MattyXXL 04-19-2011 01:13 PM

On top of all of that advanced, napa, or autozone will rent them to you for free basically...