Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

oil leak that cant be found..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak that cant be found..

Hi, I have had my 850 turbo wagon for about 5 months and never had any issues with anything. I looked at the oil level and it looked a little low so I added some lucas additive and some 10w 40. The very next day I took a trip to washington dc from north carolina. On the way I started to notice oil forming on the back window so I kept driving and didn't smell any oil burning or anything and no lights came on so I kept driving. Well on the way back I stopped and decided to check under the hood and look at the oil level and when I stopped there was oil all over the front part of the engine down by the dip stick and fan but I saw no oil leaking from anywhere just oil dripping. The dip stick had barely any oil on it but still no lights came on. The back of my wagon had a lot of oil all over the window and I'm guessing where ever the oil was leaking from it was blowing all over the bottom of the car and getting to the rear but one would think for this to happen there would be a large leak. I got home and parked the car and the next day there was a puddle of oil on the ground..I added another quart and drove around and parked it and I still saw no oil leaking from anywhere just dripping from everything..so I took the dip stick out while it was running and there was a lot of pressure and also there was a lot of pressure coming out of the oil cap. I'm asking if maybe the pcv valve/flame trap decided to get clogged on the long trip and pushed the pressure up to make the oil come out of the dip stick? Also later on I checked under the hood and there was oil coming out the top of the engine from the oil cap...also oil was all over the valve cover but no seals look broken or anything. One more thing, supposidly the car used synthetic oil before I got it and I started using regular oil..would this cause any of this and also would the lucas cause any of these problems?..

Old 03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would do a pcv service and see from there.
But also replace the dipstick tube o-ring and oil cap seal.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 PM

likely it was from the oil drain plug. but probably like what tech said, too much pressure and it was squirting out the back.. and yes probably oil + dipstick cap leak too.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM

I have a bigger problem now..I was on my way to work today and my turbo is not engaging at all..the needle won't pass the white part on the gague, it moves up and down a little but won't reach/pass the white part and I'm a little concerned now..did I blow up my turbo? Maybe there is not enough oil??..I haven't checked it yet since I'm at work till 10:30 but I'm guessing that's where I should start to look is at the oil level.other than the turbo not kicking in I have no lights no spurs no misses no nothing..the car drives perfectly fine except the turbo isn't working..I need help. I'm about to take it to a volvo dealer and tell them to fix it...

Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Maybe one of the intercooler hoses are leaking not allowing you to build boost.
Or a vacuum line might be bad. It could be a few different things.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Well here is the thing..before you could hear the turbo winding up and now you hear nothing and also I checked the oil and it looks like there may be water in my oil...I don't see any oil in the water but idk how or why it would be in my oil so idk what the hell is going on. Also the oil leak pretty much stopped and I'm not too sure what to do or where I should even start from here..how could I know if the turbo is dead? Is there any way to test it or something?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator

You have to remove the hose to the front of the turbo and reach in and feel the turbo. See if it spins freely.