Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Turbo Rebuild Question. Need everyone to read this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Rebuild Question. Need everyone to read this.

So I have this 19T turbo to rebuild..

I have done one other before but I cannot remember this situation and I am thinking that the past rebuild was "suspect".

I tore the turbo completely down and cleaned it up real good. I saved all the components I removed as "visual" reference to reassembly and verify the rebuild kit contents.

I managed to find a GENIUNE MHI kit for the superback turbo on Ebay for about half the price of everyone else online. (The parts seem to be REAL MHI parts as they are in MHI bags and have the MHI part numbers etc.) If they are a "knockoff" someone went thru a LOT of trouble to "fake" it.

Anyway,

EVERY diagram I find of the TD04 CHRA shows some "snap rings" used to locate the journal bearings. BOTH the 15G (from the past rebuild) and the 19T I am rebuilding now DID NOT HAVE THESE!!!

The previous rebuild I used a "cheaper" rebuild kit (can't remember where I bought it) and it did not have these rings in it.

This FULL KIT does HAVE them and they are a "spiral lock" type ring rather than a "snap ring" with two holes "horseshoe shaped" like in the diagrams.

The center section does seem to have grooves for the rings but as I said before they were not in there when I took it apart (they MIGHT have been?? but broke up and washed away?)

HELP!!
What should I do?
I am leaning towards putting them in and then assembling the CHRA to see if there are any issues. This is just plain weird and since I plan on putting this turbo on a FRESHLY rebuilt motor in the future I want it done RIGHT.

They would be number 2 in the attached drawing and as I said they were NOT there as far as I can tell when i took this apart. The RSN drawing shows the type of ring included and the DIN drawing shows essentially what is shown on the overall diagram

Attached Thumbnails Turbo Rebuild Question.  Need everyone to read this.-td04web.jpg   Turbo Rebuild Question.  Need everyone to read this.-product_spec_rsn.jpg   Turbo Rebuild Question.  Need everyone to read this.-product_spec_din472.jpg