Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Opinions on cam timing (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/opinions-cam-timing-72438/)

Chrispy_T 07-23-2013 10:32 PM

Opinions on cam timing

So I just ordered a cam tool from ARD and I wanted some opinions and options for timing. I'm running a '95 850 Turbo with a MBC set at 14-15 psi (don't know how I managed to not hit cutoff :rolleyes:) on the stock 15g. I'd like more low end and I plan to get the N/A throttle body too. I intend to machine out the mani instead of paying for a new one. This is on the stock cams but I'd also like options on the N/A cams for when I get the money to pick them up.

rspi 07-24-2013 06:21 AM

I don't think that a NA throttle body will do you any good, I may be wrong. Some people were installing the 960 throttle body plate on their 850 NA to help it but not on the turbo 850's.

NA cams are dirt cheep, just pull them from a junk yars donor car. I can ship you a pair that I have sitting here today, PM me.

rspi 07-24-2013 06:29 AM

As for opinions, the only one you need is the one you received from ARD. From everything I have read, they know what they're doing.

Intake mod? Where did you read that? If you still have the stock turbo, you have NO NEED to mess with it. Maybe you are confusing it with the need to upgrade the exhaust.

I an no authority in preformance mods, since I have NONE. I'm just passing on information that I have read. I recently read that the stock T5 15g is good for up to 14-15 psi so that may be why you have not experienced any issues with your MDS setting.

You will get the most help if you list your current setup. I do not see them on my mobile device (mobile version of the site).

Chrispy_T 07-24-2013 12:31 PM

My current setup is just a stock 850 with the cat unclamped from the muffler, not optimal but much better than that briefcase, a manual boost controller, a k&n cone filter on the MAF sensor, Champion copper plugs set at .028, a manual boost gauge, and the usual basic maintenance stuff.

boxpin 07-24-2013 04:22 PM

You have mentioned in your signature "ECU Flash or Tune". Expand on that. That is the only reason I would consider you making any adjustment to your cams. Since you say you have a tune part of that tune will be removing the fuel cut off...it should be gone. The question is what is the specs of that tune. Once we have the specs you could go to ARD's site and find a similar tune and see what they recommend for cam timing. ARD tunes will come with instructions for cam settings.

97black850 07-24-2013 08:08 PM

I think in his signature he is planning on modding the ECU, not actually done yet

Chrispy_T 07-24-2013 08:20 PM

I have yet to tune it, so I still have the fuel cutoff. I fully intend to go with at least a green tune from ARD. The only reason I haven't is the lack of money.

boxpin 07-24-2013 09:58 PM

Dont touch your cams till then.