Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   pcv question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/pcv-question-12249/)

huzzsaba 06-24-2007 11:56 PM

pcv question

the car is my 95 Volvo 850 turbo wagon.

First of all, I am not sure if my pcv system is clogged. I checked using the method of pulling the dipstick out after driving the car while letting the car idle. Sure enough there was some smoke (steam kind of stuff coming out). It wasnt a lot but it was there.Im guessing there should be a little bit of smoke coming out of there shouldnt it? Or is there suppose to be no smokeon a normal pcv system?The car drives fine performance wise but the gas mileage could be better ( I really need to check the spark plugs [8D]. Are there any other symptoms of a bad pcv?

I really would like to replace everything in the pcv system but dont have the room to do it since my Galant is down taking up my garage space, and neither do I have the $130 to replace the parts.

Can I just clean everything out instead of replacing them? I know one or some of the hoses have special connector for them. What special tool do I need for this?

I will be heading for Canada in a few weeks. I will have many days free to do this when Im there. Since there is no major negative symptoms, I should be okay driving it there right? I will be taking it easy going about 70-75 mph. I just don't want to be blowing seals, especially the rear main.

Thanks

tech 06-25-2007 05:35 PM

RE: pcv question

You can clean everything.
Do you have any oil leaks now?

axelm 06-26-2007 06:12 AM

Tech, what about the intake gasket? Can that be reused too? I have to service my pcv and I don´t want to buy any parts. If I could just clean it I´d be very happy.

huzzsaba 06-26-2007 06:18 AM

I have a small leak somewhere from thepassenger side of the oil pan. It may be the oil filter or the drain plug, but im not sure since I didnt really get a chance to lift it up and see.Nothing major tho. No oil spots on the ground.

Luther White 06-26-2007 02:57 PM

I think you can just clean everything, just be sure to replace the vac hoses and fuel lines if brittle and worn...which they probably are. Also be sure that you clean the small hole where the EGR valve sits on the intake as they are know for clogging up, you'll need a small drill as this is usually hard and caked and simply trying to roto rooter it with a wire or small screw driver doesn't do it. Seaform now make a spayable can called "Deep Creep". That's what I used for this job last week. You also might want to take care when pulling the fuel rail off as the injectors oring can become brittle along with the plastic tips and break...how do I know that ;-) Pretty simple job just a little tedious and time consuming a couple of hours..removing, cleaning, replacing, and putting everthing back together. The biggest thing is the small hole at the EGR valve and intake as this usually the culprit for positive back pressure anyway not the PCV system. Oh the hoses at the oil trap are brittle so becareful with those as well. Now that I think about it I probably would not have done all the work pulling eveything off if I wasn't replacing the neccesary parts. My time is valuable, its part of the maitenence for our beloved bricks, thats why we are addicted to them, right.

tech 06-26-2007 06:08 PM

The gasket is a 50/50 chance it will be fine.

I always replace them.