Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Prosport Boost Gauge Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prosport Boost Gauge Installed

So I installed my electrnoic boost gauge last night. It looks spiffy.

Somehow I sprang a turbo leak (I can hear it) somewhere behind the dash. I "uninstalled" the new gauge and replaced its spot on the tree with a nipple and I still heard the sound.

I think somehow I must have punctured the stock boost gauges tubing. I am debating whether or not to leave it alone. I only lose like 1 psi of boost and I get this really cool hissing sound. It makes it sound like I have some fat turbo under the hood.

Also, my boost gauge reads about 1 or 2 psi below equilibrium. Should I bother with sending it in?

Your opinions are welcome...

Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vacuum leak is a no no.
Can cause the car to run "rich"
Find the leak, which i assume is near the T fitting, and plug it.

The gauge is off in the readings probably from the leak.

wait for the experts to get on.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM

usually it leaks right at the T. cut off the first 1 inch of tubing from each side of the T and see if it fixes ur issue.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 PM

*Im using the boost tRee....not a T

Also, when I reorder the other fittings in the tree, the sound goes away.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you have the OEM guage in the car?
Did you just tap in under the dash?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:21 AM

The stock gauge is still installed and wired up. I did not tap into the stock tubing. I had two extra spots on the tree underneath the throttle housing if you know what I mean.

I still am getting the hissing sound. I have no idea where it is coming from. How do I go about testing for turbo leaks?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 AM

pull off a turbo coupler and go to your hardware store. find a pvc end cap, or pvc pipe + end cap that fits snugly that you can create an air tight seal out of. also get a tire valve

once you do that go back home, drill a in the end cap, insert valve. (if u are using two pvc parts glue them together.

then install the coupler in its original spot with the pvc on the end of it. then fill your system to aprox 18-25 psi and search and listen.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Got Boost?

colored smoke would help.....

Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Cap everything up under the hood and tap into the OEM guage line under the dash.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:29 PM

Okay so I have not done any of that yet. I am hoping I won't need to.

So although I do get the hissing sound, my new gauge still reads exactly between 7-8 psi which is exactly what the car is supposed to be stock (talking T5-R status here) correct?

I really can't explain why all of the sudden I am getting this hissing sound. All I did was run an extra gauge off the tree. And when I uninstall the new gauge I still get it.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check for damage on the tree...maybe it cracked by the nipple from excessive force or something?
iv'e never heard of anybody installing it as you did...everybody taps into the stock boost line.the hissing might sound cool but once the car starts running rich your mpg will go down and can affect other parts also,such as the spark plugs.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:08 PM

just had mine installed. Mine is a prosport mechanical and tapped also into the vaccum tree (per techs suggestion) since there were a few open ports. Nothing wrong with that but most people whom have a gauge in the dash tap into the line under there for ease. With a car that old, you might just have an old line that cracked or has a leak. I would just replace the lines since they are original and go from there. That's just me thou. Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:34 PM

Funny thing is, I can't explain it but my mpg went up a little after installing the gauge. I have been driving the same as I always do for archive sake.

Also, when I disconnect the stock gauge's line and cover the hole on the tree, I still hear the hissing <-- means there is no leak in that line

I disconnect the new gauge's line and cover the hole, I still hear hissing <---no leak in that line either

The only two things connected to the tree is a line that runs to the passenger side of the intake manifold and a line that runs to some sensor directly behind my IC.

Since I have not fiddled with those two lines, I assume they are not the problem.

If my car runs rich for too long, if it is, won't it throw a CEL light?

Like I said, I am still getting 7 psi

Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM

...PROBLEM RESOLVED...

Turns out it wasn't a boost leak. When I installed my gauge, I had to run a wire through the firewall. In order to fit it, I had to remove my amp cable that literally filled the hole in the firewall perfectly.

Because of this, I was literally hearing the turbo whine from under the hood thru this little tube that runs thru the firewall. Also on the engine side, this tube is pointed directly at my turbo...

I am keeping it because it makes it sound like I have some big-*** turbo under the hood...

Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Saleen9090

I am keeping it because it makes it sound like I have some big-*** turbo under the hood...
LOL! sound nice dosent it

Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow! I was thinking it was not a leak. I once test drove a 850 Turbo that had some turbo sounds coming into the cabin. It was quite entertaining. Almost sounded like it was taking deep breaths and such. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 AM

When I immediately let of the gas, it sounds almost like I have a BOV because of the quick release of pressure, amplified by the hole in the firewall.

Also, when I am running it at a constant 1 or 2 psi (like going uphill), I get an eerie sound like someone breathing on your neck.

When I punch it hard you can hear the turbo build. This is a big difference considering I used to only hear the engine speed up. The sound of building turbo is just about the most satisfying sound on Earth.

I recommend anyone to try it. You don't get any extra engine noise, its purely turbo noise. There is no exra heat in the cabin either if you worry about that.

Just run some tubing thru the hole in your firewall. Point it towards the turbo and but the hose in the cabin wherever. My cabin-side of the hose is at my feet behind my dash and it is still loud.

I don't show it off, its merely for personal use. I like to hear the parts of a car at work. I hate it how car companies are making these beefy engines, but at the same time trying to quite the cabin to zero noise.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Got Boost?

You need to seal the holes for water and exhaust leaks. If you really want to enjoy the turbo sound more, get a cheap cone filter, put it on the end of your MAF, and up the boost a little. Same thing just safer to your health and your cars health.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Does anyone know of a good cheap cone filter? IPDs is way too expensive for just an air filter in my opinion.

I am upgrading the ECU so I assume I should help the car breathe.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 PM

just get a nice k&n air filter...

Quick Reply: Prosport Boost Gauge Installed