Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Prosport Boost Gauge Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N doesn't have an application for the 850s per say..... You can buy the cone, but no arm to attach from the filter to the MAF. Also if you DID get the arm, and the filter, you still have an issue of warm air from the motor going right into the air filter, which u want colder air for the performance. That's why most kits for the 850's have that barrier around the filter. it blocks some of that warm air and helps guide the colder air form the outside to the front of the intake. TECH did show me this.. It's just as good as the IPD but less expensive. It's on my wishlist for my 850..http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Code=VL-850-en

Last edited by Somthngfrce; 07-01-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Autozone has Spectre filters which work pretty good. they are only $25. Only problem is they only have 3 sizes..... Go 3" and get a pipe. then make a heatshield.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM

Good Idea!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to do something similar to my car. Any suggestions what to use for the heat shield.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 AM

I am going to make the shield out of loose-leaf paper.... just kidding of course

I was thinking of making it out of plastic. Just to find some big sheet of plastic and cut to the dimensions you need. Then seal it with a caulk. The shield as you can see with the expensive filters is not really high tech.

Where can I order a 3" pipe? Link Please?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 AM

Haha.

That's what I was thinking, using like a storage bin or something. But I want it to look legit too. But for 3" pipe, I know that Auto Zone by my parents house carries an assortment of pipe for making air intakes. Maybe check with a local parts shop or something.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Got Boost?

here is what I did..... https://volvoforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-21/first-performance-mod-21483/
Spectre's website: http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG (Flash)
The piping is next to the filter, so next time your there or another store, pick some up. Ten you will need a silicone reducer if it is not a 3" MAF. This site is pretty good to get stuff from..... http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

Plastic trash bins are very fairly simple to use and it already has sealed edges, just need to let it touch the hood.

Get some High heat spray paint, to add the extra protection and it will look nicer.

Also those are oil filters. If you dont want to use oil filter then go with AEM Dry flow. more money........

Last edited by TIPSP; 07-02-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM

If you get the 3" piping but have to get a reducer for the MAF then didn't you solve nothing? I mean at some point the air is going to have to fit through the diameter of the MAF so it will restrict airflow itself.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Got Boost?

nope...it is a very slight change and it is pre turbo so it doesn't matter.

The opening on the turbo is smaller then the MAF anyways.... ~2in inlets.... I think the MAf is ~2 3/4"?

Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

What is the model number on your filter (is it the P4?).

Was it worth $55 and do you notice large gains and improved sound?

Old 07-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Wow, that looks really good. I'm going to make a trip to Auto Zone this weekend to see what they have for pipe and what not to make an air intake out of. I was considering maybe just getting a K&N air filter for the stock box since the air intake system is already pretty good.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM

I've heard the K&N filters don't change anything.

I think I might take up this project too.

Hey TIPSP, do you have any other tutorials like this on volvoforums.com?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Oh really? Well then I'll look more into making an intake. From the looks of it should be pretty simple. I'm getting a new exhaust, so I want something to match it with in the front.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Got Boost?

I did a How to make Poly bushings for my swaybar endlinks.....Your's are ball joints(I believe) so that doesn't apply, but if your daring to try other parts.......

CAI don't really gain you that much Gains for these cars can very from 2-15hp.... It lets the turbo take more air in faster then the stock setup, which should net slightly better throttle response, and you should se very slight MPG improvements. The real fun comes from the sound. you really hear the turbo spooling, but the best part is you will now be able to hear the stock CBV. nice pssssh sounds of the gas...

You can go ahead and get a K&N filter for they have one in every size, so no reducers are required.

Yes I have the P4 model.

The Exhaust combind with an intake will be good. But it really helps once you get a Tune.

The hardest part making the sheild is finding a good object/material to use.

Last edited by TIPSP; 07-02-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 PM

I didn't know that you were able to hear the turbo better by doing that. That makes me wanna do it that much more now. haha. About how much did that set up cost you that you have?? And with that extra intake down by your bumper, is that a problem with rain or excess dust or anything??

Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Got Boost?

Originally Posted by gilber33
I didn't know that you were able to hear the turbo better by doing that. That makes me wanna do it that much more now. haha. About how much did that set up cost you that you have?? And with that extra intake down by your bumper, is that a problem with rain or excess dust or anything??
I actually hear the turbo more from the combo of the intake and more boost. MBC @ 15psi really lets the turbo sing.

The bumper setup is the best alternative to moving the filter outside the engine bay. Since my filter is more towards the side and the forced bumper pipe is point straight. The filter stays very dry. I tested it by sparying water up the bumper. The only thing.....Be a little more carefull driving through BIGGA$$ puddles.

My car is older then the 850's and has less sound reduction crap in the car. so the turbo sound will very....It is right by the driver so It should still be good to hear.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Is it ok to just have a top to your airbox or is there an advantage to leaving it open...other than so you can see the blue filter?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Maybe it just leaves more space the air to flow in and flow all around the filter. I don't know, I just kinda made that up. Haha.

Do MBC's have dials on them that tell you what kind of boost your running at, or is it just a trial and error type of deal?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Got Boost?

Originally Posted by Saleen9090
Is it ok to just have a top to your airbox or is there an advantage to leaving it open...other than so you can see the blue filter?
Are you asking about having a Completely closed intake? I could have put a top on mine, but I got to lazy and, yes I like to see the blue filter. Aslong as you make it so the heatshield touches the hood, with a rubber seal your fine.

Originally Posted by gilber33
Maybe it just leaves more space the air to flow in and flow all around the filter. I don't know, I just kinda made that up. Haha.

Do MBC's have dials on them that tell you what kind of boost your running at, or is it just a trial and error type of deal?
Trial and error. you turn the adjuster a turn or two, lock the nut (if it has one), test drive see what level your reading.

MUST have an aftermarket boost gauge. Then open the hood adjust it untill the boost level is reached. slight turns...

Last edited by TIPSP; 07-02-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM

Sounds easy enough. Although I would probably maintain stock boost levels since the turbo is older, something possibly for the future. I'm definitely going to look into a CAI though. You have any opinion on the K&N air filters for the stock box, I know they're not going to provide the same performance as a cone.

Quick Reply: Prosport Boost Gauge Installed