Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Questions, questions, questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/questions-questions-questions-64092/)

Phil 850 07-07-2012 09:45 PM

Questions, questions, questions

First of all thank you for all the help so far. Now I have a list, sorry about that.
1) What is the easiest way to access the various dash and switch light bulbs on my car?
2) How do I access the back of the radio? The fader seems to have a bad connection and causing the front speakers to come in and out.
3) How much of a project is it to change the timing belt? mine has about 100k on it.
4) Does any one have a routing diagram of the various vac lines on this engine? Someone just pulled a vac line over the top of the engine and it looks wrong.
5) Does anyone have a diagram of the strut diagram? I think the parts on mine are not in the correct order.
6) I have one of the factory CD players in the glove compartment and it takes all the room so is there anywhere else that it fits?

Thanks folks

rspi 07-07-2012 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Phil 850 (Post 321670)
First of all thank you for all the help so far. Now I have a list, sorry about that.
1) What is the easiest way to access the various dash and switch light bulbs on my car?
YOU CAN PULL THE SWITCHES AND OTHER PARTS OUT. AS FOR BEHIND THE CLUSTER, IT'S BEST TO REMOVE THE DASH PAD BUT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO REMOVE BULBS WITH 1/2 THE PAD LIFTED.
Volvo 1990 - 2000 Series Dash Switch Light Bulb Replacement Instructions - TechnologyInstructions.com
Radio Light Bulb Replacement Instructions - SC-815, SC-816, SC-813, SC-715, S70, V70, 850, 960, S90, V90
Dash Pad Removal, Volvo 850
Center Console Removal - Volvo 850
Dash Cluster Removal for the Volvo 850

2) How do I access the back of the radio? The fader seems to have a bad connection and causing the front speakers to come in and out.
STEPS 1 - 4 HERE:
Radio Light Bulb Replacement Instructions - SC-815, SC-816, SC-813, SC-715, S70, V70, 850, 960, S90, V90
MY GUESS IS THAT THE RADIO IS BAD. YOU CAN GET A REPLACEMENT, PREMIUM SYSTEM FOR ABOUT $50.

3) How much of a project is it to change the timing belt? mine has about 100k on it.
I WOULD SUGGEST YOU CHANGE THAT BEFORE YOU FOOL WITH THOSE LIGHT BULBS. THE HARDEST THING THAT MOST PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT IS GETTING THE ACCESSORY BELT OFF. THERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE DIY THREAD. I SUGGEST YOU GET A GOOD T-45 TORQUE BIT, CHEAP ONES WILL CAUSE YOU TO STRIP THE IDLER TENSIONER. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE SIMILAR BUT ARE FOR THE 960. THE LAST ONE I DID TOOK ME 2-1/2 HOURS. I DID NOT DO THE TENSIONER ROLLER, IT WAS FINE AND DID NOT DO THE WATER PUMP, IT WAS NOT LEAKING.
Timing belt replacement instructions on a 1997 Volvo 960

4) Does any one have a routing diagram of the various vac lines on this engine? Someone just pulled a vac line over the top of the engine and it looks wrong.
LIKELY IT IS WRONG. YOU CAN POST A PICTURE AND WE CAN HELP YOU FROM THERE. THERE SHOULD BE A DIAGRAM ON A STICKER UNDER YOUR HOOD.

5) Does anyone have a diagram of the strut diagram? I think the parts on mine are not in the correct order.
THE STRUT DIAGRAM ARE ON MOST PARTS WEBSITES, LIKE WWW.FCPEURO.COM OR WWW.IPDUSA.COM.

6) I have one of the factory CD players in the glove compartment and it takes all the room so is there anywhere else that it fits?
IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE IN THE TRUNK. TOSS IT IN THE TRASH AND SWITCH TO A MP3 PLAYER.

Thanks folks

Hope this helps.

Phil 850 07-08-2012 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As per #4) See the attached picture
What does the connector in the second picture go to? This is behind the passenger side headlight.
Next weekend I do the timing belt then I can start messing with the things like radio and lights.

Kiss4aFrog 07-09-2012 11:18 PM

Pretty sure that connector, well both of them in the picture go together and are for the headlight wiper motor below the headlight.

Phil 850 07-09-2012 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 321877)
Pretty sure that connector, well both of them in the picture go together and are for the headlight wiper motor below the headlight.

Thank you. I am getting this car back in shape. Next main project is the timing belt, ordered today so if any one has any input on this that would be great. I did look over the write up from rspi's reply and that looks very helpful.

Phil 850 07-25-2012 04:30 PM

Does anyone know how the blue hose in post #3 above is normally routed?

rspi 07-25-2012 06:02 PM

No the vac hose is not routed properly. Not sure where it ends, that would be helpful. It should be under the intake manifold or through the fuel rail.

Kiss4aFrog 07-25-2012 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Phil 850 (Post 323602)
Does anyone know how the blue hose in post #3 above is normally routed?

Where does it start and where does it end ??

Showing part of the hose strapped to the wrong side of the manifold and the middle of it only doesn't give anyone much to work with.
BUT,,, if I had to guess I'm thinking it's coming from the fuel pressure regulator and going ???

Phil 850 07-25-2012 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First picture is the left or front of engine end and second picture is the right end or rear of engine end. I get that it should be under the exhaust manifold but are there clips or hangers that it should be attached to or what?