Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Radio swapp out & CD Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio swapp out & CD Question

I recently purchased an 94 850 in almost prestine condition, but the radio has some problems. Crackling in the volumn control on one speaker only,and front-2-back fade slider not functioning properely. I plan to swap out the radio for another Volvo radio and Ihave decided to let the dealeship do it because of the special tool required and the re-entering of the radio code procedure.</P>

My question is this. The radio presently in the vehicle has a CD mode button on it, but noCD holder to be found anywhere in the car. I am assuming that all of the radios came with this button, but not all of them actually had the CD components. If this is so then the wiring for the CD should already be there. If they don't all have the CD mode button, where would the CD holder be. I have looked under seats, under dash, in truck, etc. Nothing. How easy is it to add the CD components when swapping out the old radio? </P>

Would also like name of honest non-dealeship repair shop in Houston area if anyone knows of one.</P>

</P>

Thanks - TEX850</P>

Old 10-07-2003, 12:28 AM

I install car stereo professionally... I don't think that there is any 'special tool' to put the unlock code into a volvo radio....but make sure that if you buy a used radio that it comes with a code *and* a money back garuantee of proper function! If you are buying a new OEM radio be sitting when the dealer tells you what it will cost! The radios in 850s are rediculously easy to replace, you press in on the rectangular handles (slightly recessed on either side of the radios lower face area) with a key or some other narrow tool, and the handles to remove the radio pop out, grab 'em both and pull...the radio comes right out! All of the wiring connections are 'quick release' type plugs, and can not be put in the wrong way. </P>

As far as I know almost all of the later volvo cars (940, 960, 850 etc. ) come pre-wired for a CD changer, the unit mounts somewhere in the back of the car (different by model/year), again, be sitting when the dealer tells you what one costs!</P>

You should also try to eliminate the speaker as a cause of the problem before deciding to replace the deck...sounds like a deck issue, but speakers are much cheaper to replace....maybe try running the volume, balance, and fader controls through their full range 20 or 30 times (with the power off!) to see if this clears up the problem (resistor based controls like these are 'self cleaning' and if left un used or in one position for too long may need to be 'exercised')</P>

I of course will have to give you the pitch for aftermarket....if your speakers are ok, adding an aftermarket deck is cheaper, and will improve the sound over an OEM deck, but make sure that the place that sells you a (namebrand!) deck can also *competently* install it, if they seem vague about how it will be installed, or the parts required, shop elswhere! You may also be able to add an aftermarket CD changer to your factory radio, again make sure you stick with a *major* Japanese car stereo company, the no-name stuff is JUNK!</P>

David</P>

Old 10-13-2003, 06:10 PM

Hey TEX850,</P>

Any luck yet with the radio situation?</P>

Old 10-19-2003, 10:23 AM

No Luck Yet - The radio that is in the vehicle is developing dead spots in the volumn control and fader. I was thinking about swapping it out for a good salvaged unit and adding the CD component. I need tape capability, which it has, but would also like the CD package. I have since found out that the amp in not in the radio, but a seperate component and if the volumn and fader are showing age, the amp soon will. I was also told that originally the CD was an Alpine unit. I looked into going after market, but no one has a what Iwant and what I think is a reasonable price and it would not look OEM, which I would prefer. It is a 10-year old car and I don't wish to drop $600+ worth of radio gear into it. I was hoping to replace the factory unit for about$150 and add the CD player for about the same or just a little more. I am in Houston. Any suggestions would be appreciated.</P>

Old 11-06-2003, 03:31 PM

I was going to say, I never heard of a specail tool for taking the stereo in or out. There are jsut those pull handles that you pull out and all you need to do is connect some wires unless it is not a volvo stereo then you might have to plug into to the amp.

Old 11-08-2003, 03:20 PM

I have a 95 850GLE to which I added the Alpine 6pack CD changer (barely got it in the glove box) - model CHS maybe CMS?) 604 I believe. The cable was a custom one for the combo, which I bought off eBay from a now defunct outfit, but it's rather basic &amp; you could make it yourself; (plus cable was a pricey $30-$40)one end is a 5-pin DIN type plug &amp; the other a smaller version of that. The base radio unit in your autoyou could find on eBay for &lt;$100 - be patient &amp; don't get into a bidding war &amp; you shoudl be able to get.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 PM

I picked up a used Volvo 6-CD changer and installed it myself in the glovebox (it came with the special brackets and cable). Took maybe 30 minutes cause it was the first time. Cost was about $150.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:13 AM

I have a '96 850 and i just had my factory radio replaced. I had a Sony radio, a 10-disc sony cd changer, and a 300w amp put in. A place in Houston put it in for $150 dollars. That was by far the best price I could find. I got an estimate at Car Toys for $300.</P>

Everywhere that I went agreed that Volvo factory radios were a booger to deal with. Something or other had to be bypassed to put in afermarket stuff.</P>

Its only been a couple days since it was put in and I'm already noticing a few minor problems... i.e. the fade doesn't work, sound is a little distorted at high levels, and if I put a cd in to the deck it plays but i hear no volume. I didn't have any of these problems before ...well except that the cd player wasn't reading cds.</P>

Any idea what to do about that would be appreciated.</P>

Old 05-14-2004, 12:27 PM

I can sell you my radio it works fine and got the pw for it.</P>

The only reson i want to sell my. Due to I want to put in another one.</P>