Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Recirc flap in blower (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/recirc-flap-blower-59918/)

daver80 01-10-2012 09:21 AM

heat

kiss- yeah I tried it last night after I drove it home. looks like the broken armature prevents the door from opening- does not allow the outside air in. Which is what I want this time of year. Just thought I'd check this recirc thing out.

Guess my real issue is that it just doesnt seem like the heat gets as firey hot as I think it should. My old 240 (that was killed by a stop sign running Hundai) seemed like my fingers would just about catch fire after a 10 minute drive- any weather. The 850 heats, just doesn't get real hot. And the air seems to come out of the vents properly.

I put a 190 degree thermostat in about a month ago, and a new heater core in September, but the temp guage still does not make it all the way to 3:00, even after a long drive. So I'm thinking maybe temp sensor is not reading right. Autozone plugged into my OBDII, said they couldnt get a temp reading (what the computer thinks it is) just saw that there were no codes (meaning no problems).

Issues issues, they creep into every corner of my life, like everyone else. Dave

Kiss4aFrog 01-10-2012 10:59 AM

The backyard way to check the temp is to try and hold on to the upper hose. If it's damn uncomfortable to try to hold it or you can't it's up to temp. Other than that you'd need to tape a thermometer to it or if you're high tech you have a non contact infrared you can shoot it with.

Your problem might be like mine where you have a different door stuck partially open and it's mixing down the heat coming out the vents.

daver80 01-10-2012 03:13 PM

heat

kiss- hate to admit it, but I PAID to have that thermostat put in- I needed to take it on a road trip the next day and those torx bolts made me nervous. Anyway, they shot their infrared gun on one of the hoses and said it got to 190 or so. What I keep wondering is what does the computer think the temp is- why is that guage not at 3:00?

I did wonder if something is "mixing down" the heat, where would I start to find that? I drove it a few weeks ago and it was about 8 degrees out- heat didnt seem very warm that day...

Dave

rspi 01-10-2012 03:39 PM

I have a OBD-II reader and it tells me that my temp is 182. Sometimes my gauge drops to nothing. You may have a bad gauge or wire or some other problem. It would be nice to know what the ecu thinks the temp is.

A lot of people change their temp sensor. From all I have read, those going bad usually make it hard to start the car. Check the wires under the hood real good and maybe you'll find something loose or frayed.

I have the ECC and my cabin doesn't get HOT unless I have it cranked all the way up. Then it does get hot and blow hot air. When the car is warmed up, reach under the dash and see if the hoses that goes to the heater core feel hot.

daver80 01-10-2012 04:04 PM

heat

Guess I need to make a couple of calls (maybe another parts house), or buy my own meter, see if my computer thinks were at 190. Is that where it should be?

yeah, I didnt change the sensor, I'll give a look for loose wires. No trouble starting, runs well. probably will grab the heater hoses under the hood, see how they feel after I drive home.

Thanks for all of your assistance, seems like I'm always asking for advice and never offering any. maybe thats best actually. Dave

rspi 01-10-2012 04:21 PM

Try one of these: UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Brick850 01-11-2012 06:26 AM

Well I borrowed the arm I needed from my house mates 850 and tried it out on mine. It worked, sort of LOL

It pulled the flap closed in the recirc position, then jumped open and started pulling it closed again, so I take it the gears in the motor are shot too.......

Poo.