Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Smoke and Coolant (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/smoke-coolant-31411/)

gilber33 08-12-2009 10:18 AM

Replacing the radiator isn't that hard, you don't have to drop it out, you actually pull it out from the top, I've replaced mine a couple times. They're pretty cheap, so it's not a bigdeal to replace it. The PCV system is really easy too, so both problems you have aren't aren't huge set backs. I'd say if you have the time and room, you could do both jobs in a day.

Speagle 08-12-2009 10:23 AM

Cheers gilber, its just that everywhere ive looked on the net recommend jacking the car up and dropping from below. But if theres a will theres a way, im gonna have a go at removing rad from above.
So in your opinion what is the better car? for a old petrol head like me, keep the 850 T5? or V70 T5?

gilber33 08-12-2009 10:31 AM

It's whatever you want to do. I don't know how many miles you have on your car, but for me, having 214,000 miles and since the car has been in the family for several years I know what's all been replaced I know that the oil has been changed on a regular basis and I know everything that has happened to my car.

I'm in the same position as you, the mileage doesn't bother me with my car, it's the fact that the internals are obviously wearing out with my shotty compression and I want to continue to do performance upgrades. I have been looking at some V70 T5's as well and am also interested in finding an R that is in a distressed state that I can rebuild over time, so that way I know that everything has been done right.

If you get a 98 V70, they're almost identical to an 850, I would say though, if your car is in good shape, not a lot a miles (relatively speaking) do these couple minor repairs and keep driving it.

Speagle 08-12-2009 12:26 PM

Well i've had my T5 3 years now, it had 164,000 miles on clock when i bought it, now its got only 167,000 miles, as you can see i havn't done hardly any mileage, its more of a weekend car as i have a van for my daily duties.
You are absolutely right about keeping a car that you know everything that has been replaced. Peace of mind out values the hassle of going through all those repairs again. Too many people out there who just want to move onto the next car and make a quick buck aswell, where's the love and passion gone these days! here it seems! lol great website.
Cheers for your advice mate, much appreciated and good luck on the hunt for those rare 'R' types, I myself am always keeping a beady eye out for those. Theres one local to me (kent, Uk) and its in original yellow, preying for the day the owner gets swayed by the look of another car! then ill pounce! lol
Have also looked at a couple of V70 AWD R (autotraders site) both are under £2000 but methinks loads of problems lie in wait for the unsuspecting buyer.
Anyways back out again to have a ponder at how i'm gonna lift the rad out! (bit of a volvo newbie, mainly Alfas and Fords back in the good old days) any diagrams, advice would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers again!