Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Sputtering on take off when tank full, not PNP and not transmission fluid (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/sputtering-take-off-when-tank-full-not-pnp-not-transmission-fluid-96457/)

sambianculli 05-16-2018 06:01 PM

Sputtering on take off when tank full, not PNP and not transmission fluid

hey everyone. I’ve exhausted my resources trying to figure out a very strange problem. Whenever my tank is above halfway full, every so often when accelerating from a stop the car sputters and takes between 3-10 seconds to start actually getting some power. The RPM’s do not increase so it’s not a slipping tranny, and the fluid looks fine and is at the proper level. I will say it seems sort of thin, and I’ve read in here some times water/coolant can get into the fluid through a radiator leak? But the thing is once the car is above 30 mph it’s conpmetely fine, usually it’s fine above 15 mph. The weird part is it’s incredibly inconsistent, like I said only when tank is full, sometimes it happens every time I go from a stop, sometimes once in a while. Almost never when the tank is half full, completely never when it’s close to empty. Worst day was after sitting for 24 hours tried driving and it wouldn’t engage for minutes at a time and then wouldn’t exceed 30 mph, but hat only happened once. I have two codes: A2 code: 114 (open or short circuit to supply mode selector switch) And A6: 311 (speed sensor not there or not working)

the gas level correlation makes me suspicious of the speed sensor being an issue especially since cruise control and shifting at 20mph+ And I had the mode selector switch resistance checked and it was fine, and I cleaned it out. I have checked tranny fluid levels consistently, and coolant lines for leaks around the radiator with nothing. I heard pnp might be throwing the 114 code so I bought a new one from a friend for cheap and put it in which made no difference. I know my pcv system is dirty but I doubt that’s it, I’ll be changing that soon. Please help.

The car is a 93 Volvo 850 without turbo.

Thanks

sam

mt6127 05-16-2018 08:58 PM

the only thing I can think of would be with the fuel pressure at full tank - ie a venting problem on the fuel return. How do you correlate tank level to speed sensor? did you check out a wiring diagram to see if there's any commonality?

860ARE 05-17-2018 05:04 AM

The tranny oil cooler is in the radiator. If it developes a leak inside the two fluids will mix definately dont want coolant in the gearbox

firebirdparts 05-17-2018 11:11 AM

If the engine is sputtering, I think I'd try to fix that rather than the transmission.

860ARE 05-17-2018 01:08 PM

A clogged catlytic converters can cause you to loose power especially up hill and under heavyload depends on how clogged it is

sambianculli 05-17-2018 02:10 PM

Any ideas as to why it is directly correlated to the fuel level? All of those things don’t seem like it would matter if my fuel tank was full or low

mt6127 05-30-2018 04:29 PM

see my comments about the tank venting. google around for issues with the carbon cannister or vent purge valve.