Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Squeaky fan motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006 | 02:18 AM
|
Super Moderator
Default Squeaky fan motor

Well, the fan motor in the kids 95 850 turbo has statred to squaek more and more. Now it squeaks at steady speeds after running for about 10 minutes. It has gotten to the annoying point, [:@]so I need to remedy the problem. I know how to get the motor out, I just need to know if it can be taken apart and greased, or is it a fully sealed motor.

If it cannot be greased, I'm assuming I'm looking at a new fan motor.

Any suggestions before I tear into it?

Thanks,

Glenn

Old 10-29-2006 | 02:34 AM
Default RE: Squeaky fan motor

hahaha how funny you have this problem..... I had mine out no less than 3 hours aho and it was stiff, the motor cam be removed from the blower assembely.

Take out the blower

remove the wire connector which is the piece that the harness plug goes in to, you'll see 2 wire connecters which guide the motor in the housing once the connector block is off

remove the rscrew from the back of the housing

pull the plastic squirrel cage fan blade from motor shaft(be careful not to break, i think it's fragile)

I think this is an easy thing to do and could be a periodic maintenance thing, why pay $100+ for a new moror?

lube up the motor and hook up some leads to it and get power from the battery to test it

-Mike

Name:  PA290125.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  PA290126.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  PA290127.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:43 AM
JPN

Hello Mr. Psaboic,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

The blower motor is another "D minus" design on 850.

Unfortunately, mine did not cure the noise problem even after thorough cleaning and lubricating (It cured the problem for only a few days and the noise came back). First, it was a squeak, then it started to make all kinds of tones, according to the motor speed. So, I had to get a new unit manufactured by Behr (German). Bosch unit seemed more expensive. When I took out the original, it was extremely dirty and had all kinds of leaves in it.

If the motor brushes are worn out (like mine), there's not much you can do but get the new motor, unless you are good at electrical systems and can replace the brushes yourself (however, the unit looked sealed and didn't look like you could replace the brushes only). Should you decide to get a new one, you might want to get the motor with cage (fan), not just the motor itself.

After installing the new blower motor, peace prevailed on Earth once again, after painful $xxx.

PS: If you either plan to clean it/replace it yourself, make sure to disconnect the battery to disable pax-side SRS and avoid applying impact, even with the battery disconnected.

Best regards,

JPN

Old 10-29-2006 | 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

If the motor brushes are worn out (like mine), there's not much you can do but get the new motor, unless you are good at electrical systems and can replace the brushes yourself (however, the unit looked sealed and didn't look like you could replace the brushes only).
I had a look at that aspect and from what I can tell is that it can come a part, there a re a couple metal tabs taht you can bend to be able to get the motot apart, indeed this motor is not meant to come apart but it it is possible and wouldd be a pain, and getting another set of brushes to fit, perhaps a motor shop that deals with DC motors may be able to match something up I don't know for certain though.

oh yeah for all the motors that I have oiled and lubed for bearing problems over the years it's definatly a Hit & Miss situation, I've known them to last for up to years and some 15 minures.... roll the dice!! haha
-Mike

Old 10-29-2006 | 07:12 PM
|
Super Moderator

MikeySq and JPN,

THanks for the tips, and pictures. I figure I will take it out and give it a shot to see if I can clean and lube it. IF it lasts, then good for me, if not, then I will look at getting a new motor.

Appreciate the help,

Glenn