Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Strange thing happened a few minutes ago. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/strange-thing-happened-few-minutes-ago-59233/)

rspi 12-01-2011 09:17 PM

Strange thing happened a few minutes ago.

I left a meeting and drove over a speed bump. When I got over it, I had no more control over my accelerator. I mean I had ZERO juice. No revs on the RPM's at all. Coasted to the side of the road and looked at my gas pedal and everything looked fine. Popped the hood and reached under to rev the motor with the throttle pulley and nothing. Removed the throttle body cover and looked down at the linkage and the lower linkage was off of the throttle body. Went to snap it back on and it fell right back off. I had a zip tie with me so I was only on the side of the road for a few minutes but man, what if I was the normal joe. Tow truck and shop visit later, it would have been a mess this late at night.

Old plastic sucks!!! Wonder what my stealer will want for that.

JimKW 12-02-2011 07:38 AM

Maybe I better put a pack of zip ties in my cars. Along with a roll of duct tape. Most people would have had not clue where to look for the problem.

rspi 12-02-2011 09:42 AM

I think that all used Volvo's over older than 10 years old should be sold with super glue. That's the 2nd throttle linkage snap on that was loose in a week.

I kinda feel sorry for anyone else that would have had that happen to them. It was 8:30 pm, dark, on the way home. Tow truck $75+, to a shop, part $20- then the 1 hour shop fee (if they didn't need a Christmas bonus) one hour $75+. So, for something that simple it could have cost $170 easy. Not to mention the stress and hot having your car to go to work today (time off work). Heck, our stealer charges $143 per hour.

I had just tossed those zip ties in the car about 4 hours prior.

MattyXXL 12-02-2011 10:58 AM

I have a extra one off of my N/A throttle body that I havent put on yet...
If you want it let me know Ill send it out on monday..

rspi 12-02-2011 11:33 AM

Thanks for the offer Matt. I go by the salvage yard all the time. They'll likely give me one.

rspi 12-02-2011 02:20 PM

Called my stealer, said I had to come to come in. Went in (about 4 blocks from me) and they still couldn't find it. I was really just wondering if they had it for $10 or less. Then it would be worth having a new one.

I'll see if it somehow has a part # on it.

rspi 12-07-2011 09:51 PM

Went by the salvage yard a few days ago, 10 minutes after close time so I had to go back. Went back today and grabbed a couple for $2. They do not have a part number on it.

Called a dealer in Charlotte and they found the part number for me 3507883. They said it is $20.34. Called my stealer and they want $34.29 for it. Wow!!!

I'll snap the thing on tomorrow. Doesn't look like they'll need to be adjusted.