Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   TDC? amongst other problems. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/tdc-amongst-other-problems-67178/)

predxen 12-04-2012 11:16 AM

You are a real life saver rspi, if not for all of your help, i would have had one hell of a time getting that head off. This forum owes you a lot for all that you have put into it. I would just like to thank you for all the help you have been to me and to all the other forum users, without you: there would be many more dead Volvo's. So Thanks man, I really do appreciate what you are doing.

rspi 12-04-2012 01:02 PM

You are welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

silver ghost 12-04-2012 02:29 PM

I second that predxen ! RSPI you have been very helpful. I love my volvo its been the best car I have ever owned / its been very reliable for me with 329,000 + miles till now with siezed water pump and spun belt

rspi 12-04-2012 03:13 PM

Ouch! Did it give you any warning? How old was it (in miles and age)? 329,000 You should post your comments here so people can stop being afraid of them at 175,000.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...-please-41055/

https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...hlight=mileage

https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...hlight=mileage

---------------------------------------------------

Just read the water pump thread. SMH

mudpie 12-05-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by diambo4life (Post 336225)
I did not do a valve job on mine since the head seemed to be sealing alright and my valves and stem seals were not leaking.

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 336231)
Doing all that labor and not doing the job "right" doesn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted by diambo4life (Post 336236)
I do not appreciate your bellicosic response. I happen to know...other info you are not privy of.
...stop treating me like I'm an idiot...

Oh, hell, this is too good to let go.

Dude, what's your problem? All he's saying is that you spent a bunch of money on a gasket set ('set' being the operative word), and you spent a bunch of time pulling the head off. Why go to all that work and not use the new seals? It comes in a set for a reason. What would you rather do, throw them away?

And you know what...he's right. It wasn't a personal assault, it was just a suggestion. That's what car forums are for. Cope.

By the way, I'm assuming you meant 'bellicose', not 'bellicosic'. Also, the correct usage of privy would be "privy to" instead of "privy of". For that matter, "alright" isn't really a word either.

blackcomb1 12-05-2012 10:37 PM

Well said that above poster, well said :)

And Rspi.. as my long term friends would and have all said to me in the past.. never change, do not change, do not allow anyone to change you.

You did nothing wrong, however the other negative poster did, and if he had any manners or maturity to see how wrong he was, he'd do the right thing and apologize.. I did say IF ;)

blackcomb1 12-05-2012 10:55 PM

And I do respect your knowledge and feedback, as do many on here, it's evident you have owned these cars for years and you truly know them well not to mention how much time you give up to help others on here.

As for the obnoxious poster earlier on on this thread, I'd not have wasted one more minute of my time bothering to explain or help him after that first insult. He wasn't worth your time despite your efforts. Ah but c'la vie.. it only made you look the better person that you are and he.. not so great. I mean why even bother to come on here in the first place and post if not willing to accept any feedback or advice?, like you said, you don't know him etc or what he does or does not know so you gave full feedback, more nicer would've been if he bothered to at least appreciate it. A simple 'thank you' with a bit of feedback from himself on what he already knew would have been sufficient and a better response. Sometimes we have to spell it out to make others aware of how they came across. Then they may improve and respond better in future when seeking help or advice.

Luckily for me, on my way home that day on my 2nd stop to a garage that trades cars, I got offered a lovely 2008 Nissan Sentra with 50K on the clock, it's looking like it's processing for me in time for when I start a great job next month. My last two cars were newer Nissans and I have to say, I love them as they NEVER gave me the same hassle I have had with this volvo, none at all in fact.

I wish I'd known before I bought this car, all that I found out from you mostly on here about the volvo I got. It makes sense what you say, in your case you'd manage this car, in mine.. not a good choice at all. My Dad did not think so either, my Mum told me recently after I told her I was trading it in, he too said it's too old and more likely to go wrong. I read too many good reviews before I got the car and now wish I'd ignored it especially as many were written at least 4 yrs ago or more.

Well I must look up a Nissan forum as I am 99% sure I will be getting this car.. see you there Rspi :cool:

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 336373)
Man, glad you see a clearer path for you. As you can see from my signature, I have had my share of Volvo's but I do most of my work myself.

I must say, as much as I love my daughter, I almost shiver when I know she's coming because that darn S70 kicks my butt all the time. If it aint one thing it's another with it. I have done a head job on it, cam seals some other time, PCV, door locks, brakes all the way around, struts, shocks, tires, control arms I think and now it has a door stuck closed and the brake lines are cracked. Oh, I do have new CV boots waiting for it to get here in a few weeks so I have to pull both front axles to deal with that. It's a pretty car and I do trust is to get her around (and it's safe of course) but man I work on it all the freeking time. Once I had to go to her college to get the darn thing started (bad cps). So, I don't encourage people to get these unless they like to turn wrenches.

Now let me be clear, I think the FWD Volvo's are high maintenance, not the RWD cars. As for miine, I put about $70 per month into it. That includes everything from oil changes to tires. Mine has been a lot less work but I did have to have a tranny put in it, knew that when I purchased it. Now it's starting to smoke a little and I'll have to learn how to do the valve stem seals. Then I have ball joints to do and I should be good for a while. A Valve stem seal job would likely cost about $1,400 if I took it to the stealer to get done. It will cost me about $180 because of the tool I need to purchase. The ball joints about $90. So there I am again, about $70 per month is that takes me another 3 months. In a year or so, I may be able to get the cost down to about $40 per month unless I upgrade a few things like Angle Eye lights, new front bumper, change rear hatch (I have one in storage), etc. I hope to put about 500,000 on the car before I'm done with it and doing the valve stem seals will likely take me to that.

To me, these cars can go about 500,000 without any major work, like new motor or tranny. But they do have to be cared for. They can go about 150,000 to 180,000 without much care other than the timing belt. But after that, look out!!!

You may see me around another forum, I work on a lot of other cars for people so I do get on other forums to post things.

Kiss4aFrog 12-06-2012 02:46 AM

When someone like diambo4life gets rude or totally flames me I've found the best response is to set them adrift and let them solve their problem themselves. If they get too touchy from questions or especially when they start talking trash it's best just to move on and leave them alone with their problem and smile ear to ear as you go out and start your car. :D

diambo4life 12-06-2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 336244)
I'm not trying to treat you like an idiot. Your post never said why you pulled the head on your car so I do not know what your situation was. If you pulled the head because of a burnt valve, I think there is a reason to be concerned about the possibility of another valve burning for the reason the first one burnt. If you are sure that the rest of the motor is tight and in good shape, by all means, button it up and keep on trucking. However, it really sounded as if you were encouraging the OP to do the same.

Your post made no mention of you being new to Volvo's or to wrenching, I never said that. Very few people new to wrenching will pull a head and find deals on gaskets, etc. I've been wrenching for 30 years and did my very first head job 5 months ago. I just know that I read a lot about these cars having burnt valves and having a head off and not insuring the head is in good shape can be a costly time wasting mistake.

I did have a question in my post, asking what you considered a "valve job" to be because I'm just not sure what you meant by that.

Thanks for letting me know that I hurt your feelings. I don't come on this site all day long to make people feel bad. It's my intensions to help people. I'll try to remember to be gentle.

I bought my 850 as a problem car (for cheap) with the intention of fixing it and making it my DD. It was oil/water mixing so I ended up replacing the HG. I have been wrenching on vehicles for years and that's a term I have always used so I took your post as patronizing. I may have been mistaken. I am used to people being assholes on forums so I jumped on you, sorry for that. Yes, I bought the HG set because it was the economical way to do it instead of buying the individual gaskets I needed separately. My 850 was not smoking and the valve stems showed no signs of oil leaking so I saw no need to replace the seals. I used to be in the Mitsu world and I am very distrustful of machine shops. I do not know of any around here since I'm still new to the area I live in so I did not want to risk taking the head off of my "new" car to an unfamiliar shop for some work when the need wasn't really there. The valves were sealing as well. Why take the risk? I have taken heads to shops before and have them returned in worse shape. So, that's why I didn't do it. My 850 is running great. I just need to replace the stupid TQ strut bushing and perhaps the RPM (crank) sensor.

rspi 12-06-2012 07:58 PM

Again guys, thanks for the support. Coming here is like theorpy for me most of the time, besides the fact that I like helping people.

Originally Posted by diambo4life (Post 336660)
I am used to people being assholes on forums so I jumped on you, sorry for that.

I go to other forums where I'm the "NEWBIE" and ask questions. I usually get smart remarks becuase of my number of post. Not to long ago on the VW forum a guy told me "If you have to ask that question, just leave it alone and take it to a shop" or something along those lines. I just came back with a little history to let him know that I did have experience working on cars (didn't mention my A & P experience) so he and others would know that I wasn't someone that has never worked on cars, not that it should have mattered. I never like to see people cut corners unless they know what they're doing.

Anywho, I'll accept your apology if you send me those valve stem seals since I'm planning to change mine. PM me and I'll send you my mailing address. :)

mudpie 12-06-2012 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by diambo4life (Post 336660)
I am used to people being assholes on forums so I jumped on you, sorry for that.

OK, so now we've established that the Volvo forum is way more awesome than those others, and we're all totally cool. Really, I already knew I was pretty cool though. Just sayin' :D

Welcome, dude. I think we're all just here to help.

diambo4life 12-06-2012 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 336691)
Again guys, thanks for the support. Coming here is like theorpy for me most of the time, besides the fact that I like helping people.

I go to other forums where I'm the "NEWBIE" and ask questions. I usually get smart remarks becuase of my number of post. Not to long ago on the VW forum a guy told me "If you have to ask that question, just leave it alone and take it to a shop" or something along those lines. I just came back with a little history to let him know that I did have experience working on cars (didn't mention my A & P experience) so he and others would know that I wasn't someone that has never worked on cars, not that it should have mattered. I never like to see people cut corners unless they know what they're doing.

Anywho, I'll accept your apology if you send me those valve stem seals since I'm planning to change mine. PM me and I'll send you my mailing address. :)

I can send them to you. I do not need them. They are sitting in a box in our bedroom and driving my wife nuts. Just PM me your stuff and I can have them out on Monday.

blackcomb1 12-08-2012 12:56 AM

Oh good, now that all is nice again.

My car has been too, to me! It's been running fine since, I just ignore that stupid emission light that is on continuously. Not heard back from the garage since so I presume I will on Monday, anyway, it can wait. Aside from the issues that evidently needed fixing, no doubt the car was running bad initially as the last owner had it sat there for heaven knows how long (too long I think). It has 165,000 on the engine clock going by recent service 1.5 months ago. Odometer is broken as was the case on purchase, and the rip off garage that refunded me never did fix it.