Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Transmission fluid change (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/transmission-fluid-change-96475/)

TURBOLIZZY 05-17-2018 07:26 PM

Transmission fluid change

1996 850 Turbo Wagen with 64000 miles and origional transmission fluid. Fluid is brown and smells a little burnt. Trans shifts a little hard sometimes. Should I do a drain snd fill per the Haynes manual, or a more gradual drain and fill over 3 or 4 times that some recommend? What fluid would you use?

860ARE 05-18-2018 05:10 AM

Akways gradual drain and fill. I use valvoline max life

TURBOLIZZY 05-18-2018 07:22 AM

Thanks, that's what i'll do!

Wait, I see that is full synthetic. Is that safe to mix/replace with the origional dino fluid?

860ARE 05-18-2018 08:07 AM

I did it havent had any porblems. I got over 300k miles

firebirdparts 05-18-2018 08:29 AM

Drain and fill will only replace some of it, so sometimes people will drain and fill several times to get more new fluid in there.

mt6127 05-18-2018 09:00 AM

google around on option b, which is to disconnect the transmission cooler lines. (this is the shop method btw) At one point FCP actually sold a kit with hoses and buckets but the idea is to use the transmission (engine running) to pump the fluid through a clear hose into a bucket while it fills from a bucket with clean fluid. when the output is translucent you are done. Similarly the S40 service manual suggests a process where you disconnect the cooler line and pump out 2 quarts, stop the engine, refill from the top, restart (rinse/repeat until good).

Georgeandkira 06-08-2018 08:13 AM

method revision (suggestion)

The efficiency of letting the transmission pump out its own dirty fluid is obvious. The trouble with drawing in fluid through a bucket of new fluid is one of control.

I think it's better to pump out 2 quarts at a time, stopping the engine, refilling 2 quarts of new fluid and redoing the process.

TURBOLIZZY 06-08-2018 01:15 PM

So I am using one of the popular methods promoted by Robert the utube 850 guy. I drained the xmission as much as would come out = 3 qts. Then added 3 quarts and drove around 100 miles. Repeated the process and will do at least 3 times total. After a few hundred miles I will probably do the complete flush. Shifts very smoothly now!

Kiss4aFrog 06-08-2018 01:23 PM

I'm with MT6127. I used some left over clear (green tint) hose from a water softener that fit my trans hose nice and tight. Ran it over the drvs fender into a jug.
I have 300K and my fluid was nasty. I started the car and let it idle and pump fluid out into a graduated 5qt oil container while I shifted through each gear and watched the hose. When I started to see bubbles I'd shut off the engine, read the measure of the fluid pumped out and drain it into another container, add that amount of fluid or a bit more and than do it again. I did it four times so I knew I had the best flush I could do and the trans has held up just fine for a few years now.
Last addition I was more careful about not overfilling. I took it out for a drive each time and shifted through the gears a couple times manually to get it to the full mark. It's really hard to get it right at full.

tony1963 06-09-2018 08:01 AM

You will spend more time trying to unhook and reconnect those transmission lines. Do a total drain, then refill the same quantity that you drained. Run the transmission for 3-4 minutes, then drain/refill again.

Done.

Phil 850 06-09-2018 04:40 PM

I found that when ever I disconnected the trans cooler lines I had to replace the seals. I would not try to reuse the seals and that goes for the locking clips that hold the hoses to the cooler. I had one blow off while driving, not good for the tranny - see my post on installing a new transmission.

Kiss4aFrog 06-09-2018 04:44 PM

I agree Phil. I went to the dealer and picked up new O rings and clips. It wasn't hard getting it apart or putting it back together. Just needed to pull the one hose. Very happy with the results.

Phil 850 06-11-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 460765)
I agree Phil. I went to the dealer and picked up new O rings and clips. It wasn't hard getting it apart or putting it back together. Just needed to pull the one hose. Very happy with the results.

I went to the dealer before I replaced my radiator and they wanted over $100 for O rings, seals and clips for the trans cooler and oil cooler hoses. IPD was less than $50 for all of it.