Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Volvo 850R Exhaust Tips (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/volvo-850r-exhaust-tips-76318/)

jeremytangerine 01-28-2014 11:34 PM

Volvo 850R Exhaust Tips

Does anyone know where I can find the OEM exhaust tip for a '96 850R? The black rectangular one; mine's been rusted out for the past few years and I've never gotten around to replacing it. I like the rectangular look and the shape just really seems to fit the bumper cavity. However, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Was anyone able to buy it from a dealership?

Chrispy_T 01-29-2014 07:31 AM

I work at O'Reilly's and I know we can get very similar tips. I don't know where you are but if you have any near you, have them look in the aftermarket books like Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and so on. I mean, if we can get a gold dipped exhaust tip, I think we can get a shiny box tip. :rolleyes: If nothing else, you can get some pretty nice tips on ebay for fairly cheap.

rspi 01-29-2014 11:24 AM

Those tips do NOT like to come off.

Chrispy_T 01-29-2014 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 379189)
Those tips do NOT like to come off.

Well if it's rusted out then cut it off, the tip of the pipe is probably rusted off, too. It'll probably look better than stock with the right tip. No weird protrusion inside the tip. Been there before. :rolleyes:

Kiss4aFrog 01-29-2014 10:38 PM

You could also find out what brands Oriellys, autozone, pepboys, Napa ..... who ever you like and then go to that brands web site and cruise their catalog and then punch the number in for the one(s) you like on the stores website to get a price .. or call.

Fogducker 01-29-2014 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 379247)
Andys auto sport has ten pages of tips.
Client Validation

You could also find out what brands Oriellys, autozone, pepboys, Napa ..... who ever you like and then go to that brands web site and cruise their catalog and then punch the number in for the one(s) you like on the stores website to get a price .. or call.

Where is the friggin "like" button...:confused::D

gdog 01-29-2014 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 379247)
Andys auto sport has ten pages of tips.
Client Validation

Kfrog; i did that (searching the web for "exhaust tips") and can't find anything close to OE tip, which, like the OP, prefer over any of the generic aftrmkt crap.

And what is that link? Never loaded for me.. :confused:

Got the OBX tip looking at me right now from the back of the car; man that thing's hideous! Won't be there in a couple of weeks; may be the old tip (rust and all) unless i can find something decently stock looking, or maybe just a straight pipe..

BTW: anyone want an OBX system from the resonator back, it's yours for the shipping cost.. otherwise it's scrap.

SolamenteDave 01-30-2014 08:49 AM

Searching the parts from the dealership, it looks like you can get one from them for $68 or so.

1996 Volvo 850 Parts - VolvoDallasParts.com

Kiss4aFrog 01-30-2014 09:16 PM

I couldn't find anything OE like what he described either, sorry. :( But the link above for the flared looks like it's the square one. Couldn't find a part number to try and cross it.

gdog 01-31-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 379338)
I couldn't find anything OE like what he described either, sorry. :( But the link above for the flared looks like it's the square one. Couldn't find a part number to try and cross it.

The link is for Andys auto sport. I guess I was on a "cryptic" 850 exhaust tips page of some sort. You can get there from their home:

Client Validation

Or maybe you can't, just google "andysautosport"

Have you used these guys Kfrog? Based on reviews think i'll pass... :eek:
https://www.google.com/#q=andysautosport+review

gdog 01-31-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SolamenteDave (Post 379265)
Searching the parts from the dealership, it looks like you can get one from them for $68 or so.

1996 Volvo 850 Parts - VolvoDallasParts.com

Thanks for the link and info; may end up going that route. In the meantime probably just shine my old one up with some fine steel wool and oil. I'm going for the "sleeper" look so anything new and shiny might attract too much attention..;)

Kiss4aFrog 01-31-2014 09:02 PM

I've never used them and now that I searched them and see 39 reviews and they can't average 2 stars I'd never use them or post a reference to them.

Went back and deleted their reference from my two posts.

jeremytangerine 02-04-2014 09:01 PM

Thanks everyone, I've called multiple dealers and said that the old rectangular tip part number has been discontinued, which makes me very frustrated... I'll try looking around my local auto parts stores to see if I can find anything similar to the OE part.

However, has anybody had experience with the iPd turbo back exhaust? I just upgraded to an 18t with blue injectors and intake pipe and was thinking of replacing my exhaust with that if I ever needed a new exhaust... Any good/bad comments?

gdog 02-04-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jeremytangerine (Post 379792)
Thanks everyone, I've called multiple dealers and said that the old rectangular tip part number has been discontinued, which makes me very frustrated... I'll try looking around my local auto parts stores to see if I can find anything similar to the OE part.

However, has anybody had experience with the iPd turbo back exhaust? I just upgraded to an 18t with blue injectors and intake pipe and was thinking of replacing my exhaust with that if I ever needed a new exhaust... Any good/bad comments?

You mean this one?
Turbo Back Sport Exhaust Kit - Straight Flange

or do you have an angle flange on your turbo?

No first hand experience but it looks extremely similar to the obx system except twice the price. The main difference is the ipd comes with a toy cat (likely won't last long since it's so small) and the obx comes with a two downpipes; one for angle flange and another for straight flange turbos.

So what are your goals; do you care about smog legal (see your in WA but not sure what the laws are there?), loudness, etc...

BTW: if you haven't looked at obx; i found the best price here:
http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/ex11111.html

ibified 02-04-2014 11:57 PM

I have had the OBX on my car for about 3 years now and I love it - great sound (nice and deep but not too loud) and still looks great after 3 years in northern indiana.