Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What is this exactly, And Why is it leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this exactly, And Why is it leaking?

So i know my PCV system needs to be serviced because i have the smoke blowing dipstick tube but i have a very slow oil leak/internal oil consumption because this square rubber boot near the master cylinder reservoir (underneath it) but more to the left, facing it from the front of the car, has a leak around it, it seems to blow the oil onto either the turbo or the flex exhaust pipe and makes a smoking and burning oil smell when i get into boost, is this "leaky boot" a separate incident from my pcv system needing to be serviced or is it tied in, i have pictures but i'm not sure if you can read the comment but i've circle the general area.

Thanks in advance,

Kelsey

Attached Thumbnails What is this exactly, And Why is it leaking?-imgp4583.jpg   What is this exactly, And Why is it leaking?-imgp45855.jpg  
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM

have you tried searching for leaking turbo or something to that effect? I think I have read of others having to take it apart and cleaning something related to turbo which is separate from the flametrap.

i had the glt so i cant say for sure, sorry.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:58 PM

I know I am leaking oil slowly and there's the standard drop of it under the turbo's base, but i'm not sure what it is, and whether i should replace it, is it part of the PCV system? I don't know, thanks for you help if anyone else could enlightened me i'll order the PCV kit and get on repairing it.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM

This part is called PTC and it is held onto the intake hose witha rubber grommet which gets chewed by the oil over time. As I can see in the picture, somone have already put cable ties on it to hold it in place. Again this is normal but most of the oil leakages start because of clogged PCV system. No, this part is not included in PCV Kit but is actually sold as part of the intake hose. I would do the PCV and during the job, remove and clean the PTC very well with brake cleaner/carb cleaner and seal this grommet with PTC onto the intake hose with some sealant and hold it with cable ties.

This worked fine for me and I had no issues untill I found a good condition part from wreckers. if you dont like the makeshift arrangements, then you will have to invest in new Intake hose becuase no have found a source for only this rubber grommet. please let us know in case you come accross one.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 AM

Well thank you very much my fellow Canadian, I do appreciate it, so fix the PCV system and fix this PTC? < what does that stand for, i need a new intake hose for the best solution or i can clean it, seal it and zip tie it back, what is the intake hose specifically called, intake for which?

And would that explain my slow oil leak and smell during boost since its close to the turbo and might be passing too much through, or splashing on the flex pipe?

I hope so, i love my 850 and don't want to part with it, but as a student the better the news, well the better

Thanks so much for your imput

Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fcp sells the turbo pcv kit with the intake hose included i think...but if you want to clean it do just as bestharry said.you will be fine

Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Rtv!! Woohoooo!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:52 PM

K this is awesome, I'll order the Kit from FCP Groton, and probably the intake hose, which it says is separate.. but is there a code to put for the discount the forum users get? Or am i just dreaming thought there was a discount?

I've got a nice list of things to do, this being a top priority, do you think i'll need one for two days, like full days? I did a serious fuel system cleaning on it with a 3 step professional kit and an oil change and my car seems to be feeling better, less smell than before, exhaust is clean, i tightened those zip ties someone put on the PTC, but I'm definitely going to do the PCV system thanks for all the help, going to have to get started soon. Prob late this June though .

Old 05-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

order thru the phone..mention you are a member of volvoforums and volvospeed.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 AM

k thank you guys. I will do that

Old 06-01-2009, 02:51 PM

The oil smell could be comming from the oil leaking from the engine oil filler cap and passing under the spark plug cover thru the passages ending just above the turbo/exhaust on the back of engine and dripping onto the exhaust manifold and smelling burnt. So, if the PCV needs fixing, then after fixing it, you will probably have no problem of smelling burnt oil.