Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel

In our most recent snow storm, my wife slid into a curb, actually breaking the right front wheel [IMG](can't seem to upload image)[/IMG]. She was just a block from home, and said the car drove alright otherwise, so we're hoping axles, rods, tire, etc. are alright. I am now looking for a wheel and have found several possibilities, ranging from $80 +s/h (used) to upwards of a couple hundred dollars.

My main question is the term "directional". Some of the wheels I've found make no mention of this term, others have stated in all caps that the wheel is NOT a directional wheel. Is this what I want? Or do I WANT a directional wheel? Or is a wheel a wheel? Would a $100 new replacement wheel be a better bet than a used original? Arg!

Finally, for now, does anyone have a wheel they'd like to sell?

Pre-post amendment: I think I've learned what directional means, which probably means I want to avoid wheels that are NOT directional, even if the picture looks like the wheels we have, which I wish I could upload here for demo purposes. [IMG](can't seem to upload image)[/IMG] The wheels are 5-lug, 16", and I believe called "Columbia"

Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Default RE: wheel

Columbias are not directional. A used straight wheel is better than a new one, for it's cheaper

There is no reason to try to find a new one, for the single 'new' rim will look outof place with your older rims.

BTW, on ebay, you can find a set of replica Columbias, brand new, for $320 plus shipping ($60) for all 4. If you want to have new looking rims, this would be the way to go. You could then sell your used Columbias to offset the cost - AB

Old 01-24-2007, 12:41 AM

What does Directional mean? For future refereance...

Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 AM

Directional as explained to me:

"Directional" refers to the aesthetics of the wheel. These wheels are "directional" because the "spokes" tilt (or look like the spin) in a direction as opposed to just being straight on.

I'm not sure that the wheels we have are Columbias or something extremely similar. There are some replacement/replica wheels that just don't quite match what's on the car (mainly, the spokes are more angular, but there are a couple of other differences as well).

Old 01-27-2007, 01:02 AM

http://www.wheelcollision.com -- for repair of your wheel or reconditioned used wheel
http://www.erievovo.com

Old 01-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Columbas are definitely not directional. I have a set of them from my 94 850 Turbo sitting in the basement. One of them has a big chip taken out of it from where I hit a curb in a snow storm, but I can still use all four of them. Personally they are my least liked of the Volvo wheels. I don't like that bent star look that they have. If I ever get rid of one of my cars, those are the wheels I will have on it that's why I keep them.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: dadsbrick

In our most recent snow storm, my wife slid into a curb, actually breaking the right front wheel [IMG](can't seem to upload image)[/IMG]. She was just a block from home, and said the car drove alright otherwise, so we're hoping axles, rods, tire, etc. are alright. I am now looking for a wheel and have found several possibilities, ranging from $80 +s/h (used) to upwards of a couple hundred dollars.

My main question is the term "directional". Some of the wheels I've found make no mention of this term, others have stated in all caps that the wheel is NOT a directional wheel. Is this what I want? Or do I WANT a directional wheel? Or is a wheel a wheel? Would a $100 new replacement wheel be a better bet than a used original? Arg!

Finally, for now, does anyone have a wheel they'd like to sell?

Pre-post amendment: I think I've learned what directional means, which probably means I want to avoid wheels that are NOT directional, even if the picture looks like the wheels we have, which I wish I could upload here for demo purposes. [IMG](can't seem to upload image)[/IMG] The wheels are 5-lug, 16", and I believe called "Columbia"
Hey bud,

It's not "image". The correct coding is IMG. That's where your trouble lies.

I'd like to see these pics, because I think a picture can better describe the term "directional".