Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Climate Control Bulb, Gear Selector Light / Shifter Light Replacement ?'s

Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Bulb, Gear Selector Light / Shifter Light Replacement ?'s

Setting my a friend in my 850 Turbo. I need to replace the gear selector/shifter lights, the one(s) that light of PRND321.

1995 850 Turbo. I've found

Pricey!
http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...&V_ID=4546

Normal!
http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...&V_ID=3369

Basically, I have to replace that one, and my left most climate control (dual climate control, 3 *****, with a slider for the fan output) bulb as well. Where are the walkthroughs? Do we have them? I have a Haynes manual too but do not think light bulb replacement is covered, though the book is a few miles from me at present.

Input appreciated. =)

Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Climate Control Bulb, Gear Selector Light / Shifter Light Replacement ?'s

The first link is probably the one you need for the gear shift lights. I've actually never done that one, but heard you can get the bulb at Pep Boys. The lights in the Climate Control are not the same as the ones you have in the 2nd link. You have to take the radio out, then take the climate control unit out, take the screw out of the climate control to let you get behind the face plate. Then you will see four little sockets that have bulbs in them. You twist the sockets from the back to get them out of the face plate. Then the bulbs just pull out of the sockets. I got the replacement bulbs for these from Radio Shack.

To take the radio out: Push the two little tabs on the side of the radio with a thin screwdrive or long fingernails if you have them. The tabs will pop out, then you can just pull the radio staight out. Then read up behind the Climate Control unit and gently pull it out. There will be three plugs behind the CC unit that will need to be unplugged. Then you take the unit apart to get to the lights.

I just did that this past weekend, so it's fresh in my memory.

There is a link on how to take the console out to get to that other bulb for the shifter.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Default RE: Climate Control Bulb, Gear Selector Light / Shifter Light Replacement ?'s

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...c&start=10
For replacing the climate control lights on the manual climate control like I think I have

Still need to search for the shifter light fix (more important of the two, and probably easier)

Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

The first top link is the shifter bulb.
You will need to remove the center console then you can get ot it.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM

Regarding the center console, there are a few posts with instructions and pics around. In a nut shell...

1) Open the armrest, look for and pry up the little cover in the bottom. You'll see two screws; unscrew them.
2)Pull up your parking brake, then carefully pry out the plastic insert underneath.
3) Remove the ashtray assembly; this gives you access with a regular screwdriver to get at the next two screws which are at the base of the coin tray/cigarette lighter insert. You have to lean forward toward your stereo and look down to see them. If you have a really stubby Torx screwdriver, or some short Allen-key style torx bits, you can remove the screws without removing the ashtray.
4) Once that coin tray/cigarette lighter insert is pulled out and disconnected, you should see two more screws to remove.

I'm basing this on my 93 850 which I believe should be identical to your car... six screws in total to be removed (not including the ashtray assembly).

As for the HVAC controls, I believe you have the automatic ones (whichis far easier to work on than the manual controls) sofollow JimKW's instructions to remove it, and it is that simple (hardest part is sometimes feeling for that button underneath to push and then pull forward on the assembly... whole things takes no more than two minutes) then I believe there are 4 screws, two on each side of the face plate. Unscrew them, and CAREFULLY move it off the body of the HVAC controls as it is attached with one of those computer-flat-style cables which are soldered on... pull too hard and they break... that won't make your day.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Thank you tech and maxbaby.

Tech says I need one of the first bulbs for the shifter light (my priority), is that second link what I need for the climate controls? I will take a pic of my climate control so there is no confusion, maybe I'll take pics of all of it (install) and post a pictorial/walkthrough.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good, because I need to replace the bulb in the passenger side of my climate control module.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM

Phoenix, that second link may not be what you need. On my automatic climate control, when I opened it up to check, there were three bulbs, and they sit in a socket that has a wire travelling inside the unit itself. In other words, you are looking for simply a bulb, and not the bulb/base unit pictured in the link. In fact, those bulbs in that link look like what I replaced on the back of the instrument cluster awhile back. Again, I have a 93 which is sometimes an odd duck in comparison to the 95 onward. You still haven't said if you have the auto unit (where you set the temperatures for each side and it has a setting for "auto" on the fan, etc) or the manual unit. If someone has VADIS, wouldn't it tell the part number as well as the wattage and milliamp rating of those bulbs? With that, you might be able to buy them elsewhere.

The bulb in the first link does look the right one for the transmission selector, as I replaced that awhile back when I did my heater damper door project.

Dunno if anyone has tried it for their 93 and 94 850's but I just finished replacing the illumination bulbs in each of the switches under my instrument panel and seat heaters. These are the ones with the soldered-in bulbs which would normally require a whole new switch if you wanted to have them light up. Anyway, the bulbs are available at Radio Shack or The Source (Canadian version of Radio Shack), part number 272-1092 for both stores and it wasn't very hard, just a little tedious. They're a little smaller in size but work just fine. Took about 15 minutes per switch.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 PM

Is the shifter bulb really that big? Could it be replaced using LEDs?

And I would want green LEDs for all the other lights right?

Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

The first top link is the shifter bulb.
You will need to remove the center console then you can get ot it.
Can I get the bulb at Pepboys/Auto zone as per some one elses post though? $9.00 is a bit much, was about to order but come on, a bulb?

p3

Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Im not sure if they carry them or not.
Have to priced it at the Dealer?