Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo C30 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c30-41/)
-   -   C30 2.0D - Volvo D4204T engine - Starting (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c30-41/c30-2-0d-volvo-d4204t-engine-starting-97845/)

thistleblower 09-21-2018 06:39 AM

C30 2.0D - Volvo D4204T engine - Starting

Hello, I am having a starting problem. Can someone please tell me if there should be residual fuel pressure (and what it should be) in the line - pressure sensor when the car is left overnight? My car is zero pressure. The fact this car has no tank pump seems strange as it is taxing the battery too much on start apart from this the car is beautiful to drive and economical. I have just changed the alternator and I believe the starter is on the way (due to the non start problem? Thanks.
Update:
When I bought the car the previous owner has any work needed done. Knowing engines, I put my problem down to a fuel. It wasn't until the starter went (due to the number of attempted starts) and I looked at the replacement did I discover the starter fitted, made in India, was half the required HP - Someone had made a serious mistake. Once I had replaced this the car started in a heartbeat.

eflexter 10-22-2018 04:29 PM

There should be residual pressure, but even if you don't, the car should start within a second or so, once the pressure is returned to normal.

Sounds like you need a new battery. It has to be in top shape to make the car start correctly.

thistleblower 10-25-2018 09:12 AM

Thanks eflexter, sorry about the delay, I knew it would be lengthy reply and it was a matter of finding time. I see you are in the States and don't know if the 2.0D model is sold there.

I bought the car exactly 3 years ago when it was exactly 7 and it was always sluggish to start. The previous owner had looked after it well and it had any work done as it was needed. Due to the slow starting and the fact the battery was a bit small I decided replace it with a BIG one, starting was not improved.

Inside a year the SRS light came on and the dealer after confirming it was the control module told me it would be ~ €650. On the net I had seen people pay $1000. While I found this to be common problem, when I contacted Volvo - Sweden they told me they were not aware of the problem! Shortly after this the driver's rear view wing mirror nearly fell out. I discovered the surface to which it was glued wasn't even smooth. I dropped a key and while it would start the car I could no longer lock it with the remote, price to replace ~ €220.

The starting was really annoying and earlier this year decided to remove the starter, in doing so I discovered the main terminal nut loose so I tightened it and there appeared to be an improvement.

September I had to replace the alternator and at the beginning of the month started troubleshooting the starting problem seriously. I had always felt there was a fuel starvation problem (I am a qualified aircraft technician), as it wouldn't fire up first try but usually on the third - fourth just as the battery was drying. It came as a bit of a surprise to discover there is NO tank pump on this model where there was on various petrol models meaning the main high pressure pump had to pull fuel from the tank - through the filter and I didn't expect that on this quality of car. With an iCar reader I could monitor the fuel pressure which was usually very low or zero.

I bought an inline pump to see if it made any difference, it didn't and at that point I removed the starter - made in India. On opening it to my surprise I found the brushes were like new but the rotor hadn't been running true - the end bush was worn through one side and the rotor had been scraping on the magnets.

Using the part number off the starter I went on the net and contacted a couple of companies who told me the part number I had given was not the right starter for my car. What I had removed was 1.1Kw while the correct value should have been 2.2Kw. Once I fitted the right starter life became a lot sweeter.
After Mercedes - VW - Audi - BMW - I bought the Volvo C30 liking the style and having heard it was a class car but I'm very disappointed in it and would rate it as a deluxe Ford. Thanks again for your advice.

eflexter 10-26-2018 09:29 AM

Deluxe Ford is a good description. There's nothing like the rugged old 240 series cars. They were not exactly beautiful, but they were tough and had a lot of charm. But consumers today are no longer brand loyal and companies have to compete with brands like KIA and HYUNDAI. Thanks for the detailed reply. That information is helpful for others.

thistleblower 10-26-2018 09:45 AM

Thanks for your reply. My brother who lives in Germany has been driving Volvos for years, his rating of Volvo was a factor in me deciding to go with the C30. He has favoured station wagons. I intend editing my reply to you and posting it on other Volvo sites because starting problems are not uncommon on the D4204T Volvo engine and with the variety of starters, I don't imagine for one minute my car has been the only one on which the wrong one has been fitted. Regards,