Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

1999 c 70 won't stay started

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 c 70 won't stay started

Hi hoping you can help I was called out to look at a 99 c70 turbo and it won't stay running have to floor the gas to get it to ignite runs rough. Customer said it was fine and then randomly stalled. Schrader valve at rail spits fuel but when I put a guage on it I didn't get any pressure Wich I didn't understand there's a process involving pumps and tanks on alldata to check fuel pressure. Plugs are new. Ets light is on engine temp sensor is open , replaced sensor circuit still open. Just learning you need an expensive tool to test ecu pins , wondering where you would go from here 220k miles. Car looks meticulously kept underneath.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:33 PM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikko12
when I put a guage on it I didn't get any pressure

Ets light is on engine temp sensor is open , replaced sensor circuit still open.
You need fuel pressure for the car to run

The ETS light is related to the known to fail throttle module. Are you aware of the problems with those? When was it last replaced? what codes are stored?

https://xemodex.com/us/product/elect...epair-service/

Old 11-12-2022, 08:28 PM

[QUOTE=hoonk;518332]You need fuel pressure for the car to run

All data has a process involving pumps and all kinds of adapters to check the fuel pressure , people had previously said if you push on the valve on the Schrader and fuel spits out there is pressure. And a steady stream of fuel spit. I had an adapter that fit the shredder so I hooked my guage up and it read 0. I don't know if I need all the extra stuff to get an accurate reading is my thing. And how do I accurately diagnose the etm?

This is the process alldata has for checking fuel pressure I have attached it below

Old 11-13-2022, 09:40 AM

The alldata process simply shows an extra fuel tank to catch the spilling fuel when pressure is released using a valve at the gauge. That is simply to release the pressure so gas does not spray everywhere when you disconnect from the test point. The factory tool shown also has a pump on it to be able to drain the gas from the system for instance for gas tank replacement. .

Connect gauge, turn the key on and try to start the car while watching the gauge - you should have ~5x pounds of pressure. (i'd have to find the exact spec) If not determine why. Fuel pump not turning on due to a problem with the relay? Bad fuel pump? If pressure is good, move to the next logical step. Before all that - what codes are stored in all the modules in the car?

Last edited by hoonk; 11-13-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:09 AM

Okay thinking fuel pump relay then possibly or fuel pump, there is coolant temp sensor and a turbo circuit can't remember exactly. Ets light was on. So the fact that a steady stream of fuel was coming from the rail doesn't mean everything is okay? Because yeah like I said guage said 0 when tried to start. Able to get to start by flooring the gas but if you don't stay on it it dies.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:34 AM

Here's where the fuel pump relay is - Also pictured below is a common problem with the svc70 cars - the B+ wire going from the battery to the main fuse box melts - see attached photos. It's the bundle of 4 red wires connected on the other end at the positive battery terminal. This will reduce the voltage going to the car and all sorts of funny electrical things will happen if there is not enough current flow.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Here's where the fuel pump relay is - Also pictured below is a common problem with the svc70 cars - the B+ wire going from the battery to the main fuse box melts - see attached photos. It's the bundle of 4 red wires connected on the other end at the positive battery terminal. This will reduce the voltage going to the car and all sorts of funny electrical things will happen if there is not enough current flow.
Confirmed fuel pressure is good. Pulled spark plug on Cylinder one , couldnt see fuel spray into cylinders nor could I see any spark when touching to engine and cranking, yet I don't get any misfire cylinder codes.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:03 PM

I don't get any misfire cylinder codes.
And how do I accurately diagnose the etm?
The engine has to run to get misfire codes.

What codes are stored in the Throttle module?

Last edited by hoonk; 11-14-2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by hoonk
The engine has to run to get misfire codes.

What codes are stored in the Throttle module?

None that I can see . Scan tool shows boost circuit open and engine coolant temp sensor circuit open. Ets light is on. Engine starts and will stay running as long as you stay on the gas. Soon as you let go it dies out.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:46 AM

None that I can see . Scan tool shows boost circuit open and engine coolant temp sensor circuit open. Ets light is on. Engine starts and will stay running as long as you stay on the gas. Soon as you let go it dies out.
I am having that exact issue with my 2000 Volvo V70 NA. Engine runs fine with some throttle but as soon as I bring the speed down to idle, the engine sputters and dies. I tried replacing the MAF to no avail. I just ordered a rebuilt ETM (throttle body) from XeMODeX, I will get it installed this week. I'm thinking this should fix the issue, I know the throttle bodies are a known failure point and as far as I know, the one in my car has never been replaced.