Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2008 C70 Roof Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 C70 Roof Malfunction

Hi:
I just purchased a 2008 C70 with only 70K miles and it seems to be in good condition. I had an '04 C70 and loved that but this is a much nicer car.

The roof works... goes up and down... but I think there may be some problems with the sensors. Here are the symptoms:
  • When I put the top down, it will stop mid-function with the roof in the highest position and it won't respond to either button. And the Information Message says "Roof Malfunction". If I turn the key off and on again, it will continue to work.
  • When the roof is all the way down (and I can see the lock pull it down snugly) the windows do not go back up and I can hear the hydraulic motor continue to work.
  • If I drive the car in this condition, the message window says "Top Malfunction" and I get the audible error alarm telling me that the roof is not locked
  • In order to start raising the roof, I have to turn the key off and on again before it will respond to the button.
  • When I put the roof up again, it goes all of the way up and locks but, again, the windows do not close and the error message tells me that the there is a top malfunction. However, I can drive the car and there is no audible alarm.
  • Eventually, with the top up, the "Roof Malfunction" message goes away.
It appears (to me) that the problem is with the sensors. Or maybe it's a bad controller.

Is that a known problem?

How do I troubleshoot those?

I have found the following publication which shows where the sensors are but I am not sure which ones to test or how to test them.
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/c7...ullDetails.pdf

Can the sensors be adjusted?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SeanF; 09-12-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:29 PM

Did you still need help with this I feel like I pretty much became an expert on tops

Old 02-27-2021, 06:06 PM

@Earl Miller Saw you on this post and you said you've been through pretty much all of the top issues. Currently, my C70 Roof close button doesn't register. It was constantly telling me that the roof was closed and would try to close the top any time i hit the break if it was down. I finally changed out the control buttons. Now the button to open registers perfectly, but the close button doesn't and i've even tried putting the old constantly registering button back in, with the same results. All roof control fuses have been changed at this time. Currently, parked with the top down

Old 06-20-2022, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Earl Miller
Did you still need help with this I feel like I pretty much became an expert on tops

Hi Earl, would you be able to help with my C70? I've had Saab 9-3 convertibles before so I know a bit about the hydraulics and microswitches. I have a 2006 C70 with a roof that will not go up or down. Its currently with the roof partly up. The back glass isnt closed properly and the boot will not close. Any ideas where to start looking? Regards Damian from the land of OZ