Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo C70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/)
-   -   2012 C70 leak detection pump replacement (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/2012-c70-leak-detection-pump-replacement-99552/)

Nick7899 04-02-2019 09:13 PM

2012 C70 leak detection pump replacement

I have had my C70 for 18 months . The other day the engine light came on and problem was diagnosed as a faulty leak detection pump. The dealer wants ridiculous money to replace. I’d like to do it myself but can’t find any information on its location and the removal process .
Can anyone help please ; appreciate any help and guidance I can get .
thanks
Nick

ES6T 04-03-2019 10:55 AM

The job pays about 2.5 hours, so it's not cheap. You have to partially lower to rear subframe. Its located on the passenger side above the subframe.

Nick7899 04-03-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 472240)
The job pays about 2.5 hours, so it's not cheap. You have to partially lower to rear subframe. Its located on the passenger side above the subframe.

thankyou for a speedy reply
I’ve looked on line for videos etc or any instructions but haven’t found any so far . I will jack the car up tomorrow and see if I can locate it . Have u seen any technical instructions anywhere that might provide some guidance on how to go about it plse?
again thanks
nick

ES6T 04-04-2019 08:48 AM

This probably isn't a popular DIY job because the subframe has to be lowered, so I don't know if you'll find much. I haven't seen any but I also haven't looked. I'm a dealer tech.

eevolvo 04-05-2019 11:01 PM

The Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales (VIDA) software program has instructions on how to replace the leak detection pump. A Volvo Dealership wanted to charge me $505, so I got my mechanic to change mine on my 2011 Volvo S80. I bought Bosch part number 0261222022 from Amazon and it fit, even though the online system states it won't fit. The part that came off my car has that identical number (0 261 222 022) on it. VIDA reflects the OEM part number as 30760863. I am not good at mechanical stuff, but I know my mechanic had to move two or three covers to get to the part. He put the rear of the car on jack stands. The leak detection pump replacement didn't quite fix my problem. I still have a couple diagnostic trouble codes (ECM-P240100 & ECM-P241900) indicating a short or open. A squirrel (or some squirrels) ate into my wires that connect the hood open sensor, the coolant level sensor, and the radiator anti-tamper device. I spliced them back together, but likely have missed something. So, I am probably going to have to let Volvo or a place that specializes in European cars sort it out for me. Good luck changing yours.

Nick7899 04-16-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by eevolvo (Post 472330)
The Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales (VIDA) software program has instructions on how to replace the leak detection pump. A Volvo Dealership wanted to charge me $505, so I got my mechanic to change mine on my 2011 Volvo S80. I bought Bosch part number 0261222022 from Amazon and it fit, even though the online system states it won't fit. The part that came off my car has that identical number (0 261 222 022) on it. VIDA reflects the OEM part number as 30760863. I am not good at mechanical stuff, but I know my mechanic had to move two or three covers to get to the part. He put the rear of the car on jack stands. The leak detection pump replacement didn't quite fix my problem. I still have a couple diagnostic trouble codes (ECM-P240100 & ECM-P241900) indicating a short or open. A squirrel (or some squirrels) ate into my wires that connect the hood open sensor, the coolant level sensor, and the radiator anti-tamper device. I spliced them back together, but likely have missed something. So, I am probably going to have to let Volvo or a place that specializes in European cars sort it out for me. Good luck changing yours.

thanks for your reply. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.
Can I view the VIDA information on the internet or this site / forum anywhere please ? I’ve done work on my previous cars but this is my first Volvo and there’s not much out there on the net to help .
thanks

Nick7899 04-16-2019 09:06 PM

Thanks for the reply here. Sorry took me a while to get back to you. Is there anywhere I can see the VIDA information you mention on the net or this forum please ?
Done work on my other cars before this ,my first Volvo. Appreciate the help , don’t want to pay the dealer $600 to fit it if I can figure out how to do it myself
thanks

eevolvo 04-17-2019 12:24 AM

No worries on taking a while to get back to me. I am not aware of the VIDA information being posted anywhere. And, I don't know how to print that information from my VIDA. I recommend you do Youtube searches on "Leak Detection Pump". Some of the videos will give you an idea on where to find the pump on your car. In fact, I think after you order your pump, you'll know what part you are looking for. My mechanic didn't really pay attention to what I had in VIDA. He just went under my car and went to work.
Now, as it turns out, I still wound up paying a European Car Auto Shop $655 to do mine. The Euro Auto Shop found that the connector pins were damaged, one fuse was the incorrect amperage, and my new LDP was damaged/cracked. I didn't argue because I was ready for my Check Engine Light to be gone and my mechanic is heavy-handed.
Hindsight being 20/20, I should have let Volvo do the work for me. Volvo wouldn't charge for the first hour of diagnosing the problem. And, when I had Volvo replace my window washer reservoir sensor, they said that sensor is warranted for life as long as I own the car. Plus. Volvo cleaned my car inside and out.
I think you can do this job yourself, if you put your car on jack stands and just find the location of the LDP. I knew my mechanic could do the job 5 times quicker, so that's why I didn't attempt mine. But..had he not called me back, I was going to do it myself...even if it had taken me 2 days for a 1 hour job.
Good luck. And, if you plan to keep your Volvo a few more years. You might want to consider buying the VIDA software and the DICE OBD II scan tool at some point. My VIDA has already paid for itself with me knowing exactly what was wrong with my car before the dealer told me. I paid just over $300 for a computer with VIDA already loaded and I got the DICE OBD II scan tool from Amazon.