Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo C70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/)
-   -   2013 C70 Brake Wear Indicators (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/2013-c70-brake-wear-indicators-99362/)

TACanada 03-12-2019 04:37 PM

2013 C70 Brake Wear Indicators

Hi,

Anyone know if this vehicle has any brake pad wear indicators, either electronic (dashboard icon) or manual (brake squeal)?

Also, what might be considered average mileage for brake pad and rotor replacement?

My 2013 has 34,500 miles on it (US vehicle) with NO shudder, pulling or vibration on average or hard braking for that matter.

It has the upgraded 18" wheel size.

Thanks!

mt6127 03-12-2019 05:11 PM

dunno what features are on your model, most times when my car is in for service the shop reports back with a measurement of the remaining pad thickness. I'd be surprised if you have OEM pads with the wire in them to track wear, To me, that's something GM would do :-)

Average mileage for replacing pads has a lot to do with your driving style and city/highway mix. Typically rear pads can last 2-3x longer than front pads. I would think 30K is a good time to check for wear with a visual inspection of the pad thickness. Upgraded 18 inch wheels have nothing to do with the brake pads but may make you a more aggressive driver!

ES6T 03-12-2019 10:17 PM

There are no wear indicators.

The rears do not typically last twice as long as the fronts on the P1. It's actually usually the opposite.

Mileage depends on braking. From what I've seen on P1s, rears usually last 40,000 to 60,000 miles and fronts 60,000 to 90,000 miles. But again, that can vary quite a bit.

With the big wheels, you should be able to easily see the outer pads and a small inspection mirror can help check the inner ones.

TACanada 03-13-2019 04:29 AM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. We're not aggressive drivers so to speak but don't mind pushing this fun-to-drive, spirited vehicle on road trips with limited traffic around; especially with the Polestar option. That said we may be slightly harder on brakes but barely above the norm.

The reason I mentioned the wheel size was in reference to the rotors. I don't know what size of rotors are on the vehicle at present but assume it's the 300 mm. Just wondering if moving to the 320 mm would be possible but guess I'll just check with Volvo Service on that for sizing.

Thanks again.

mt6127 03-13-2019 08:17 AM

a move to bigger rotors may require a change to the caliper brackets or worst case, a change to the appropriate caliper for the larger rotor. Dealer should know or you can do some part number research on a dealer web store. I don't own a P1 so my pad wear experience is for other models. Interesting to hear the rears last longer.

TACanada 03-27-2019 04:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks!