Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo C70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/)
-   -   Advice on an old, but low mileage C70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/advice-old-but-low-mileage-c70-94157/)

carl.rizzo@verizon.net 10-11-2017 04:45 PM

Advice on an old, but low mileage C70

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, but not new to Volvo. Starting back in the 80's, I owned a 70's 242 DL, in the late 80's I owned a 760 GLE, then a 740 Turbo, and then around 2010, I rebuilt the engine, transmission and drivetrain on a 99 XC70 AWD, which was an excellent car. I always loved Volvo's and decided to join this forum for advice and maybe to help others when possible. I most recently purchased a 2000 Volvo C70, 2.4 liter Turbo with only 44,000 miles on it!! What a find! I would like opinions on what work I should perform. As we all know this is barely past break-in mileage for a Volvo. Given that it is 17 years old, I am looking over things that might have age related issues like hoses, belts, etc... I will be changing all the fluids, even though they are not past mileage. However, what does everyone think about the timing belt, book says over 100,000 miles before that change, but what about the age? Can anyone think of anything else they might change on a 17 year old car that was garage kept and barely driven? Thank you for having me on this forum and I look forward to your responses.

Carl

mt6127 10-11-2017 04:58 PM

timing belts are age or mileage so unless you know its been changed in the past 7 years, I'd replace the belt, tensioner and idler. I'd also look at when the tires were replaced. If they are over 5 years old, they probably should be replaced regardless of tread as the rubber hardens. Check out how the AC runs and see if its full pressure as well.

carl.rizzo@verizon.net 10-12-2017 08:29 AM

Hey, thank you so much for such a quick reply! I agree with you and this post was the little spiritual nudge I needed to change the timing belt. The XC70 I rebuilt was cheap because the previous owner changed the timing belt, but not the idler pulley and tensioner. The belt stayed on as long as the plastic cover could keep it there. It cut a very neat hole through the cover, almost like it was done by a precision machine. That head had three bent valves. The tires are pretty new, it's tough to get through that many years on only one or two sets. I asked the seller/owner if he had the timing belt changed and he didn't even know that was consideration, so I am going to change it and the water pump. The coolant looks pretty dirty and old as well. That's why I plan to change all the fluids, although the oil was taken care of at least. Rubber brake line components are on my list as well.

I plan to get the ABS electronics rebuilt also, it is giving me the same behavior as the XC70 (indicator lights) did after a hot run.

Again, thanks for the response!
Carl

MSGTUSMC 10-14-2017 09:04 AM

C70 10yr cycle

If U look @ the recommended maintenance schedule on these, there are a few 10yr. old replacement items. I did all of mine on my '98 2.3
turbo coupe between 11 yrs. & 12yrs. & 24k miles to 56k miles now. I had o do upper/lower ball joints, front wheel bearings & axles also. The 1st thing I did was the fuel filter. Mine has a coil & distributor so I replaced the coil, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, firetrap, timing belt, pulley/tensioner. Now my power steering pump has worn out and hose leaks, replaced the pump and ordered a new set of hoses. Drivers side window regulator was the 1st failed part then ignition switch. I replaced the front/rear links also. Replaced front/rear brake pads. A shop did the ball joints/axles bearings and axles, I did the rest of the maintenance/replacements. I had the brake system/cooling system power flushed and changed the auto trans fluid. The passenger side micro switch for the seat back failed twice, I removed the seat & replaced. I have a spare SC-901 radio with cd cassett. Headliner is starting to loosen at the top of the windshield, next project. Clear coat coming off front/rear bumpers, sanded & primed now for paint. Watch rear window seal left/right if track rusts big problem. Easy to work on except micro switch on seat and routing power steering lines.