Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo C70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/)
-   -   C70 Hardtop Convertible drooping/fallen rear headliner (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/c70-hardtop-convertible-drooping-fallen-rear-headliner-71666/)

bsimkins 06-18-2013 09:03 AM

C70 Hardtop Convertible drooping/fallen rear headliner

Hi, my C70 Hardtop Convertible rear headliner is drooping. Can this be repaired? Would I seek repair at dealer or auto upholstery repair shop?

Barry427 08-14-2014 10:44 AM

C70 headliner

The center section of my2011 C70 headliner dropped down this week. The Volvo dealer says the sun and heat in Florida are the problem. Their fix is $300. for an improved adhesive for the 8 snaps that hold the center section to the roof, labor , 2 year warranty, and a loaner for the overnight repair. This fix doesn't include the other 2 headliner sections! I'm going to try another Volvo dealer to see what they say. My car is out of warranty because of mileage. I'll post after the 2nd opinion. Barry

MSGTUSMC 08-15-2014 05:01 PM

Headliner

My local auto/boat uphostlery shop fixes these problems. Cheaper than dealer, try 1 around your area, get all 3 done!

Barry427 08-18-2014 11:45 AM

C70 headliner dropping

Good idea, I'll try them next. Thanks, Barry

Marlyn 10-06-2014 04:47 AM

So Barry how did your liner repair go? I have a 2008 and 6 months ago had to get mine repaired. I would like to know which dealer gave you the $300 price cause the dealer in W.Park, quoted me $950.00!!!!
I ended up using an established headliner repair shop on Orange Ave at Virginia for only $125.00. I didn' kick the sleeping dog on the other two panels.
So far, so good. Actually, I have full confidence in their repair.

romeer1 12-21-2014 08:00 PM

Headliner falling

1 Attachment(s)
I went to the local junkyard and got trunk liner snaps from a donor Volvo, covered them and used them to snap my headline up through the existing glued -on snaps. It looks factory and will not come down again.

RichyRich 07-04-2015 12:07 AM

excellent idea and looks great. Please tell me which model did you get the trunk liner snaps from. You just drilled holes where the snaps would be on the top side of the head liner and pushed the new snaps through? I need to go this to my 09 C70..

lat26&41 03-20-2016 07:44 PM

The section that ends at the back window and just rear of the front seats can be accessed with your hands. You will find some "feet" that have some leftover glue gunk on them. It will be obvious where they separated. Scrape that stuff out and you can try the industrial strength Velcro or Scotch pads. One side glues to the plastic bands up in the inside of the headliner and the other to these flat "feet". We'll see how this works out but even if it fails, bringing it to a boat/car interior shop as others mentioned above should not be $950.00

Justice Sommer 06-13-2016 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by romeer1 (Post 402520)
I went to the local junkyard and got trunk liner snaps from a donor Volvo, covered them and used them to snap my headline up through the existing glued -on snaps. It looks factory and will not come down again.

Is there any chance you or anyone can elaborate on this? I've tried different glues and Velcros with no success. Seems like a mechanical solution like this would be perfect.

Does anyone know what snaps he used? Evey thing I've looked up don't look like they would work.

katalak 09-22-2016 08:35 PM

C70 Hardtop - headliner drooping

I live in SC. At the end of last summer, the headliner was drooping at the front (where it meets the windshield frame). My BIL reattached with gorilla glue. This has happened again at the end of this summer. I'm sure the heat is the culprit.

Suggestions on type of glue to use?

pfkf123@yahoo.com 10-24-2016 08:05 AM

C70 Liner drooping, wrinkled, bent

Originally Posted by katalak (Post 438085)
I live in SC. At the end of last summer, the headliner was drooping at the front (where it meets the windshield frame). My BIL reattached with gorilla glue. This has happened again at the end of this summer. I'm sure the heat is the culprit.

Suggestions on type of glue to use?

FELLOW C70 OWNERS
Need help, the liner in my C70 has drooped all the way across from front to back, it has wrinkled and it is bent as it looks like it might have got caught up , as it came loose in the mechanism in the trunk. Need some help. Anybody near the Raleigh North Carolina area that can recommend somebody to fix this. I went to a boat lining place in Raleigh and their $150 fix did not work. This is really beginning to bother me. Would appreciate any help

clowiemcc 03-23-2017 11:59 AM

Anyone have any insight to share? Glues that worked or did not? Two of the retainer clips have become un-adhered to the liner of my 2009 c70. I have a new clip coming as one was lost. An auto upholstery shop tried velcro, which lasted three days. I am going to try some different glues and will post updates.

lat26&41 03-23-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by clowiemcc (Post 445132)
Anyone have any insight to share? Glues that worked or did not? Two of the retainer clips have become un-adhered to the liner of my 2009 c70. I have a new clip coming as one was lost. An auto upholstery shop tried velcro, which lasted three days. I am going to try some different glues and will post updates.

I ultimately had to go to my dealer for my repair as my attempts proved unsuccessful. Some of these glues and Velcro products are very good but did not do the trick the way the dealer adhesive and application method did. It's been about a year with a fair amount of open and closes and all is well. I am gentle and careful not to snag anything on the headliner taking things in or out of the car. I would have loved to try the method mentioned above by romeer1 but I needed more info than that. I also wonder how it worked thus far. Other than that, my 2008 C70 has done very well so far.

clowiemcc 03-23-2017 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by lat26&41 (Post 445143)
I ultimately had to go to my dealer for my repair as my attempts proved unsuccessful. Some of these glues and Velcro products are very good but did not do the trick the way the dealer adhesive and application method did. It's been about a year with a fair amount of open and closes and all is well. I am gentle and careful not to snag anything on the headliner taking things in or out of the car. I would have loved to try the method mentioned above by romeer1 but I needed more info than that. I also wonder how it worked thus far. Other than that, my 2008 C70 has done very well so far.

When you had the dealer do it, did they just reglue the clips to the liner or did they do a full replacement of the headliner? What was the cost? Thank you for the information.

lat26&41 03-23-2017 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by clowiemcc (Post 445147)
When you had the dealer do it, did they just reglue the clips to the liner or did they do a full replacement of the headliner? What was the cost? Thank you for the information.

They used the same fabric as it was in good condition. I believe they did the both sections for $300.00 which I think was not too bad. To order and get a new liner section(s) would be BIG $. I'm pretty handy and patient with that sort of stuff but did not want to attempt remediation or renewal beyond what I did so I succumbed to the dealer to get it over with.

Micheal Nelson 05-16-2017 01:43 PM

Thanks for the Q & A thread, guys!

Our C70 just dropped the window and liner away from the outer layer of soft top. The glue failed with the 90 degree days this week. The window is still velcroed to its inner layer fine. But vision is even worse than the horrible it was before, doh.

SO we're looking at a shop she's used before on her first convertable, and then dealer. We'll get some quotes and see. (btw, Wake Forest / Raleigh NC)

I'd much rather have a shop with a warrenty and pay for premium parts I dont have to get fixed again soon. So we're skipping the parts store adhesives based on this threads advice. Thanks for saving me from wasting my time and money!!

Kimiann814 05-16-2017 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Micheal Nelson (Post 447484)
Thanks for the Q & A thread, guys!

Our C70 just dropped the window and liner away from the outer layer of soft top. The glue failed with the 90 degree days this week. The window is still velcroed to its inner layer fine. But vision is even worse than the horrible it was before, doh.

SO we're looking at a shop she's used before on her first convertable, and then dealer. We'll get some quotes and see. (btw, Wake Forest / Raleigh NC)

I'd much rather have a shop with a warrenty and pay for premium parts I dont have to get fixed again soon. So we're skipping the parts store adhesives based on this threads advice. Thanks for saving me from wasting my time and money!!

Any luck? I live in chapel Hill, NC and have the same issue with my 2009 C70. Would love an update! Thanks!

PlatinumBrick 05-19-2017 03:33 PM

There must be a fatal cosmic alignment to North Carolina...

I live in Cary NC and my 2007 C70 just had its middle section of the roof liner dropped after a day in a hot weather.

Please let me know if anyone had a good luck with the repair... maybe we can all go for a volume discount :D

wallyrob 05-31-2017 04:34 PM

Like PlatinumBrick my liner's dropped. I'm in Raleigh, NC.
I took a look at it and am not fully comfortable tackling it myself.
Maybe we could team up and find a reasonably priced repair shop.

PlatinumBrick 05-31-2017 05:53 PM

I fixed this with epoxy glue over the weekend. I used the Gorilla brand of the epoxy glue that had the highest weight rating of any I could find at Home Depot. The old glue on the fabric top looks a lot like Epoxy, hence my choice.

I found the retaining clips still stuck on the metal roof. I removed them (8 total) with the body panel removal tool, being careful not to break them in the process.

Once I get all flat pieces glue to the fabric top (all open ends toward the center), I inserted the clips. I let the glue cure for several hours before snapping the fabric top onto the metal roof.

So far so good! Took only 30min fixing and it's still there after several operations. If it drops again, I may take Romeer1's tip and fabricate the clip that goes thru the soft top into the metal roof. I measured the clip length for the future reference.

It's a lot easier to fix with the roof in the service position, as pictured.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6nwzzI0RsZNkNCb0VXbkFYNTA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6nwzzI0RsZNGprRWdBZzFHZWs

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6nwzzI0RsZbE9kS20xOHR2TW8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6nwzzI0RsZeV9scEdtOWdBc1U