Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo C70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/)
-   -   Top Malfuntion/Hydraulic Cylinder Top Trouble Code (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/top-malfuntion-hydraulic-cylinder-top-trouble-code-93332/)

Bleu723 07-22-2017 08:42 AM

Top Malfuntion/Hydraulic Cylinder Top Trouble Code

I own a 2011 C70. My front headliner needs to be repaired and so I have been driving her with the top up for many months. In April of this year, my top malfunctioned even though I wasn't using it. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a sensor. They didn't have to do anything - just moved a few things around and problem was solved.... But last week, it happened again. I started my car after work and the alarm started. I took her to the dealer yesterday, and they called to tell me the code said it was the hydraulic top cylinder that has malfunctioned. But how can this be, especially if I have not been putting the top down at all?? I am so frustrated and sad by this. Dealer is telling me it is going to cost me 8000.00 to fix.

Can anyone one here offer me some advise please?!

Bleu723 07-23-2017 11:55 AM

I thought I'd ask here since this seems to be the place to go for information or advice from other Volvo owners.... But so far, I haven't received a response. I kinda get the feeling I am SOL.

The service adviser told me it was a complete hydraulic system failure... I am not so sure that I believe this is the case. I think it is something else. This is the exact same thing that happened a few months ago.... The adviser didn't list the trouble codes from the diagnostic report so I can't even look it up for more information.

Is there any way I can at least stop the alarm from constantly sounding?

Thanks!

Bleu723 07-25-2017 09:56 AM

I own a 2011 C70. My front headliner needs to be repaired so I have been driving her with the top up for many months. In April of this year, the top malfunctioned even though I wasn't using it. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a sensor. They didn't really have to do anything - just moved a few things around and the problem was solved.... But last week, it happened again. I started my car after work and the alarm started. I took her to the dealer yesterday and they ran the diagnostic. They called to tell me that it was a complete hydraulic system/failure. But how can this be, especially if I have not been putting the top down at all?? I am so frustrated and sad by this. Dealer is telling me it is going to cost me 8000.00 to fix.

Personally, I think it is something else. (The dealer also said I needed new rear brakes and rotors but another experienced Volvo mechanic looked at her this morning and said I did not need brakes at all) - so couldn't it be a possibility that it IS a sensor jiggling around (like before) in there causing all my grief?

It's unlikely all the hydraulic rams have failed at once. Failure of the hydraulic rams should be accompanied by a large hydraulic oil leakage at the ram(s).
They are bone dry and all hoses appear dry.

And here's what the dealer just e-mailed me:

"I have reviewed the estimate from your recent visit. The diagnostic performed did not involve diagnostic trouble codes. The technician performed testing on each potentiometer, linkage and hydraulic cylinder. No DTC's were stored for the top malfunction message which makes it more difficult to find a solution and demands more time from the technician as he needs to fault trace the problem without codes. The cylinder on the left and right side is not functioning to lock down the top in place. Both will need to be replaced so we can check and see if any other repairs are needed. I believe that we can warranty the right side cylinder because it was replaced on 8/26/15. The left side however would need replacement also"

So what do you guys think about this?? I still do not believe it is a cylinder at all. But Maybe??

DanielOsterberg 09-15-2017 01:56 AM

Hello, it does not sound like a hydraulic failure. I need more details in order to give you a suggestion on what the problem might be. I worked on the retractable hardtop as an engineer at the Volvo plant in Uddevalla, Sweden. Im sure i can help you out since i know it by heart.

Do you have a complete sensor read out? I mean from all hall sensors and position encoders?

kgabby 08-17-2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by DanielOsterberg (Post 451254)
Hello, it does not sound like a hydraulic failure. I need more details in order to give you a suggestion on what the problem might be. I worked on the retractable hardtop as an engineer at the Volvo plant in Uddevalla, Sweden. Im sure i can help you out since i know it by heart.

Do you have a complete sensor read out? I mean from all hall sensors and position encoders?

Hi Daniel,

first time I'm seeing this post thank you I do not have a read out but I can certainly get one. I'm currently on vacation and the top failed again but it resolved itself quickly this time. I will tell you that the two things in common with the failure are that I was securing the rear seatbelts.

So the first time I unfastened the rear seat belts to change out a seat cover that I use for the dog. Normally I leave those seatbelts fastenedb to keep the cover from blowing. Yesterday I unfastened the seatbelts to put two inner tubes into the backseat and fastened them again. the top failed again with the error code "the trunk is unlocked". now the first time I remember the error code to say the trunk is locked but the I could be wrong. Does this mean anything to you? Maybe a coincidence but I think it's telling? Thanks!

Oh by the way I shut the car off. Unfastened the seatbelts..
.humm ... refastened them, I think... Started the car and top went up, no error code. Thanks again

Gabby

tony1963 08-17-2018 04:22 PM

First, there is no such thing as a "complete hydraulic system failure". This is not an airliner calling for a mayday. I'd get more information.

The hydraulic cylinders on these things leak over time. There is a shop in Oregon that I've used to have cylinders rebuilt to specs better than new. You probably have low fluid due to a leak.

kgabby 08-18-2018 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=tony1963;464280]First, there is no such thing as a "complete hydraulic system failure". This is not an airliner calling for a mayday. I'd get more information.

The hydraulic cylinders on these things leak over time. There is a shop in Oregon that I've used to have cylinders rebuilt to specs better than new. You probably have low fluid due to a leak.[/QUOTE

RichyRich 08-19-2018 03:20 AM

09 c70 here. Dealers? I WILL NEVER, EVER, take my car to the dealer again. I had some A/C problems. Took it in and they told me the compressor was going out. Thousands of dollars it would cost. I took it to a reliable mechanic. They changed out the interior temperature sensor. $20 part.