Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 2023 XC60 Recharge - do not recommend

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2023 XC60 Recharge - do not recommend

We took ownership of our XC60 Recharge Nov. 2, 2022...car has been back to the dealer 4 times (more if you include needing them to replace a broken charger cord). We were so excited to get into the electric era and use this car primarily in Pure mode driving around the city. However, we have so far been plagued with intermittent, annoying and unsafe issues. Each time we contact our dealer and bring the vehicle to them to look at, they say they are unable to recreate the error and therefore cannot "fix" anything...leaving us in this stalemate with known problems that happen intermittently with no solution. I am told just to reboot the home screen when these occur. This is not a safe nor an acceptable long-term solution.

Issues include: heater stops working, home screen displays errors and then goes completely blank and cannot be rebooted, safety system sounds stop chiming, charge cord won't release from car, car won't start up charging, sync'ed phone contacts get lost, inability to change profiles, Apple CarPlay prevents us from receiving calls, apps such as Sonos stop working, and more.

Based on some online research (after we purchased the car, unfortunately) these problems seem somewhat common with the 2022 and 2023 models and are blamed entirely, or at least in part, on the switch to google-based infotainment system as the cause. We are told that Volvo is aware and "working on it".

I have opened a case with Volvo Customer Care. Waiting to get a response from them.

Anyone else have similar problems? We were so excited to get this vehicle...now I worry we spent $$$$ on a vehicle that is not yet ready for prime time.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:00 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I too have had a less than stellar new car experience with my S60 Recharge. It took 4 dealer visits and two months of waiting for parts to get it resolved. Now that things have been fixed, I'm enjoying the car, which I do think executes well on its concept, but I too would have a hard time recommending the brand. I think Volvo legitimately earned their loyal following over the years, but more recent offerings appear to lack the reliability for which the older ones were known. Volvo is not alone in this (consider Mercedes, for example), but it's still annoying and unnecessary. It's particularly unfortunate because I think they have some compelling concepts and designs, especially with their plug in hybrid models, but with their current lack of quality control and poor training of customer support staff, they're taking new customers attracted to the brand via these offerings and turning them into life-long detractors.

I hope that you're able to get the issues with your car resolved and enjoy it for what it is. With my car working more or less as intended now, I do appreciate the design and performance. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-28-2023, 10:51 AM

Thank you for your reply! May I ask what part/repair was completed that helped solve your issue? We have the XC60, not the S60, but perhaps it is a similar solution. Concerning to me that if there is a solution out there that our dealership/Volvo isn't providing that...thanks again.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:12 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My issues differed from yours in some cases. In my instance, the car needed a new high voltage coolant heater (provides heat in electric mode and was a widespread problem), a communications module, and a clock spring in the steering column.

The most irritating was the heater because replacement parts were not available throughout most of the winter. The widespread nature of the failure required modifications to the part. I'm glad they fixed the root cause, but it did create a multi-month delay for many.

The MY22 S60 didn't get the Google infotainment system, so I don't have the software related issues out outlined, but I can imagine how frustrating they would be - especially in a car which relies so heavily on the computer interface for basic functions like climate control. My car has the previous generation Sensus software, which is not perfect but is reliable.

I'd expect the Google software to continue to improve over the next several months now that it's widely deployed in the new models and lots of feedback and telemetry is coming in. It's obviously very frustrating, but hopefully will rapidly become less painful as they issue fixes. Perhaps there is also an issue with your specific infotainment unit. Either way, I hope you can secure a resolution.

Old 03-10-2023, 05:01 PM

Just an update to my situation with our new XC60 Recharge that has continued to exhibit issues throughout the 4 months of ownership..it spent the last week in the shop for them to try to resolve my issues, but all that was done was the latest software upgrade/patches/fixes. Two days later, I had to bring it back to dealer because the Check Engine light went on, not to mention that many of the existing problems are now happening with increased frequency.

Volvo Customer Service takes the case, but all they do is report that back to the Dealership. I requested escalation and have documented every issue with dates and photos where possible, and have sent to Volvo and our Dealership. Our Dealer is trying to help us work with Volvo to get resolution - which likely will include an exchange or return of the vehicle.

I think Volvo has put its Dealers in a terrible position as they are no longer able to defend the quality of the vehicle. As I said to all today - we will NEVER recommend purchasing this vehicle.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2023 xc60 recharge the engine light came on, they ran updates and diagnostic and had to order two replacement evaporator pipe. The light would come on in rush hour like traffic. They said the car thinks it was leaking fumes but it is not. Been a week since and light has stayed off.

The following users liked this post:
LizF (03-12-2023)