Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 Electric-only concerns in a PHEV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update 1

Originally Posted by GameBoiye
I know this thread is somewhat old, but were you ever able to get the problem fixed? If so, can you say what the issue was?
I can’t say the problem was solved, but it did get better. Volvo remotely dialed into my car while it was at a local dealer and did multiple software updates. The same problem did not happen again yet. However as the temperature has gotten colder I tried out the car conditioning feature. When I tried to start my car afterwards it was completely dead. 100% dead. Needed to get the battery in trunk boosted, drove around for half an hour and now it’s been 2 weeks without a dead battery issue. If the car conditioning is powered by the small battery rather than the actual pack, that is another stupid mistake. My car was plugged in at the time so no reason anything should have drained.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mine was OK

My 2022S 60 recharge extended range was in a parking garage for a month and two weeks and it was fine. Started without a problem the electric battery for the motor was practically discharged. So I drove with it on gas and charged it I drove for about an hour and a half and it got like in between a quarter and a half charge. Hope this helps
Originally Posted by cometguy
I have an ER XC60 on order. My concern is that the owner's manual says that you need to drive it at least once a week, or risk having the 12-volt battery get low. Many 2022 Volvo owners have found their 12-volt battery dead, so there's a huge problem there. The traction battery does not charge the 12-volt battery, apparently (a huge engineering failure), so the 12-volt battery can only be charged by running the ICE, evidently (alternator). If you drive only in electric mode, which is the whole point about getting a PHEV (i.e., to drive in electric-mode only when driving locally within the range of a full traction-battery charge), there appears to be a significant risk of your 12-volt battery dying. For this reason, I am seriously considering NOT taking my 2022 XC60 ER when it arrives this month and instead waiting for MY2023 XC60 ER in hopes that Volvo will correct this huge engineering mistake. Oh, there's no way that a 12-volt battery should die if the ICE is not run for 1-2 weeks (or if the car sits still for weeks) -- so there's some design flaw that causes the 12-volt battery to slowly drain when parked.

Please post here if you have any problems with your 12-volt battery (i.e., car not starting).

Old 06-29-2023, 02:10 PM

I would put in on hybrid mode during one way to work and that should solve the concern.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP here. I've had the '22 XC60 T8 Extended range for about 14 months now. In that time I've only had one issue with the car: in December 2022 the check engine light came on with the message "The engine system performance is reduced." The dealer told me to bring it in immediately, which I did. They kept it for a few days but couldn't find anything wrong. In the end, they chalked it up to a bad OTA software upgrade (which did happen to occur the day before the check engine light came on).

I usually drive in Hybrid mode, but at least 95% of my driving has been around town and electric-only, and I've experienced no other problems (knock on wood).

I'll be flying a few times this summer and will leave it at the airport for several days up to a week at a time. I'm hoping that won't be an issue (knocking on wood again)...

Old 08-03-2023, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JohnPie
Quick update ... Volvo dealer has had the car for a week now ... Viberate supposedly they are still talking with Volvo Canada about the issue, which they say they have not been able to recreate ...
Ah, the classic case of "it works fine when you're looking at it"! Hopefully, they can work things out with Volvo Canada and figure out what's going on with your car. In the meantime, enjoy the extra time without it, and fingers crossed for a swift resolution!

Last edited by WalthurUmech; 08-07-2023 at 06:00 AM.