Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Hellllllp!!!!

Old 03-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hellllllp!!!!

Okay so about a year ago I bought and S40 1.9t with a blown motor timing had got off bent valve broke valve beat piston out of cylinder. Set it out back with the rest of my other cars scoured online for a new block end up ordering one from overseas. Bought new valves, and receipt to them took all the components off of the old block and put them onto the new block all matching numbers.
Rebuilt rebuilt motor put it back in. Had trouble getting the motor in time eventually got it to the best of my knowledge got it running but it started reading misfire cylinder 4. Now I had already replaced the crankshaft and the camshaft sensor before when I was having trouble getting it timed so those are brand new drove it like that for about a month with the misfire on cylinder 4. Turned it off one day when I start again figured it had something to do with the timing so I replace the timing belt the tensioner and the pulley put it all back in time. I also noticed that some of the ignition wiring harness to the coil packs was damaged so I replace that. Well got it all back together thought I got it in time fired up rough idling reads misfire cylinder 4 and 1 crankshaft camshaft correlation. So I change the coil pack for cylinder 1 and 4 and the wire still reading the same trouble codes I'm about out of anything to do I've replaced all the coils all the wires both camshaft and crankshaft sensor timing belt and tensioner. I don't know how to get rid of these codes anybody got any ideas what else it could possibly be?!? Now I will say this the aperture on the end of the cam that the camshaft sensor goes off of was a little rough as in it had some kind of damage or something is if somebody VyStar on it or put some heavy gouges. I smooth them out with a hand file very gently

Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that’s quite the job. Hang in there! When you locked the cam and crank did you use the special locking tool that connects to back side of cams?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 AM

Yeah 5 times I've tried it and every variation on the cam marks left of the cam Mark right of the cam Market Center the cam mark I finally got the crankshaft camshaft correlation to go away but I'm still reading a cylinder 4 misfire and rough starts

Old 03-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

how did you reset/check the VVT gear? I recall seeing a recent post with a good write up on the how to - or check Youtube.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 PM

I don't think I follow what you're saying after it was all said and done and I took the cam locks off I rotated the engine total of two times to see if they were still on and then two more times but I just tore it apart again today I replaced another coil the cvvt solenoid redid the spark plugs change the air filter I Got a Brand New aperture for the cam sensor.. but when I got done doing all that I just got curious again and decided to check the timing marks and for some strange reason my cvvt gear Head move back one tooth I even manually by hand spun in a whole rotation clockwise to make sure that the cam caught up with the gear and I was behind the mark buy one whole tooth which I don't understand

Last edited by Lgraves05; 03-12-2018 at 08:25 PM.