Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

1st oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st oil change

I have a 2005 S40. 10,900 miles. Until now, the dealer did the state inspection and changed the oil --- at least they were supposed to. Anyway, I drained the oil, and opened the oil filter cap, which did not have a mark on it of any kind from a socket/tool which would have removed the plastic cap. Anyway, this type of filter/cap is very similar to my VW Golf. When I drain the oil in the Golf, and open the cap/pull the filter, there is only wetness in the filter well area. In the volvo, there was INCHES of dirty oil in the filter well after the drain/filter removed. IS this NORMAL for a Volvo? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, a 2005 and only 10,900 miles? How often is your oil changed?

I usually have a little oil left in the filter area but not inches. I assume that the car sat for a little after running to let the oil drain down into the pan and that you drained the pan before removing the filter.

The previous owner of my V50 did not seem too good about oil changes. I think they were shipped out over seas and the car sat for a while. The oil was black as sin and it took a few oil changes and Seafoam to get it cleaned up. It is good now.
Stan

Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM

I had the dealer change it at inspection. 1 oil change a year. As you can see by the mileage, I don't drive it much. 2000 miles a yr avg? I'm not thrilled with the car. The sound system sucks [center speaker grill vibrates; dealer tried to fix 3 times] , smell from the paint used in the trunk fills car, + 2 times I had it out while trying to relax in my life -- the windshield was smashed, roof dented up to the sunroof + the drivers side was keyed from front to back. Both times parked. Once in a parking lot at a concert, once in a parking garage going out to dinner. It is paid for, but I could get rid of it and not miss it at all.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have some darn bad luck. Since you have the center speaker, I assume you have the Premium Sound system. I have it too. I tend to be an audio snob and am actually impressed with the sound quality once the equalizers are set right. I do have to pop the center grill off and clean the dust out that falls through the grill.

Stan

Old 10-23-2010, 01:06 PM

It is in a climate controlled garage with the windows up. The gps is in that center grill as well. The little door opens to reveal the gps screen. I love a good sound system. Not impressed with this. My speakers don't vibrate in my 2002 Ram 2500. AM/FM/Cassette deck.......I have the 6 cd player in the Volvo/premium sound, etc. There are times I need to shut off the car so the sound system resets and lets me install/eject/play a cd.