Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2000 s40 stalls at low rpm, starts OK

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 s40 stalls at low rpm, starts OK

First, I'm a newbie to the forum so thanks for entertaining ths question about my 2000 S40 1.9 turbo.

Today the low fuel warning message was on so I drove to the closest gas station and put in 2 gallons of mid-grade - 89- gas (it was an expensive station) with plans to go to another station with far better $/gallon up the road. The car drove well to the station and to the next stop where I parked the car for an hour of shopping. When Itried to start the car it didn't start well, but it did start it seemed flooded. However, when the rpm's went below 1000 the car stalled. I could restart the car but it stalled whenever the rpm's went too low. The Check Engine light came on. And, weirdly, the DSA light came on, too. All this while I was parked and not moving.

I was able to start the car and by riding the brake and keeping the enginerpm's from falling too low to an idling level, I filled the car up with premium-91- gas.The car started fine as well as it always has and I drove it home mostly on highways about 15 minutesfrom there. It seems to runwithout roughness and accelerated smoothly above the 1K rpm mark.

At home I disconnected the battery. I cleaned the Mass Airlow Sensor with thespecial MAS cleaner andpoured a bottle of Techron into thegas tank. I checked for but didn't see any loose vacuum hoses. I did find a small tear in a curved hose underneath the Fuel Pressure Regulatorafter removing the throttle housingcover and cut a small piece of the damaged hoseoff and reconnected it the best I could with the originalspring clamp. Reconnected the battery.

The engine started, but still the Check Engine light stays lit and the engine stalls, but the DSA light is off now.

The fuel filter was replaced about 6 months ago.

Is there something I should and can check? Idle Air Control Valve? MAP sensor? Other?Can any of these be tested without a fault code check? I own the Haynes service manual

Can anyone say with 90%-100% certainty that "it is the _____."? Or is this a situation that requires a Volvo dealer?

The only thing I can think to add is that yesterday I replaced the front and rear brake pads and rotors. I don't think the problem is related.

I'm a newbie to the forum, but I'm not a newbie to the S40 I've had it since2000 andhave done most things mechancial to the car myself: timing belt, water pump, etc; rear struts; brakes/rotors; plugs and coils; mounts; front struts; filters; etc. so I'm not afraid to tackle things.

Thanks for any help or opinion.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Default stalls

If you are still out there - Im having the same issue
Im going to work on a couple of possibilites this weekend

Ill let you know

TB

Old 07-03-2014, 11:27 PM

Cleaned the idle control sensor - no luck

cleared and re-read the codes - MAP and MAF

I got some spray made for the MAF and sprayed it tonight and wilol put in in the morning

JPJM

Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine coolant temperature gauge (ECT)? This is the gizmo right below the thermostat...it can sometimes cause this kind of issue (I'm told). It's easy to replace BUT I would hook your car up to a DICE unit or bring it in to dealership...you can only throw parts at these puppies for so long before you start to go a bit crazy.

Last edited by pierremcalpine; 07-04-2014 at 07:53 AM.