Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2001 feels a little loose underneath

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 feels a little loose underneath

Hey guys, been maintaining and keeping up with my newly aquired (from wife) '01 S40. Recently changed out upper strut mounts, and ride is definitely quieter. Volvo recommends right axle ( $800 ) as well. We changed out one engine mount last year. What else could it be to quiet down under front end? Thanks!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you serious about that price on the axle?
Chances are if one engine mount had to be replaced then all of them are.Also worth to check out if the lower brace crossing the member has been hit and bent up and now its touching the cross member.I replace this part every year tho my car has been lowered considerably.When these two touches then the metallic rattling noise on idle is really disturbing.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealerships :rollseyes:

If thats really what they are goiny to charge you I need to mark my prices up a few hundred percent!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
Dealerships :rollseyes:

If thats really what they are goiny to charge you I need to mark my prices up a few hundred percent!
Can anybody recommend a mechanic in the Tampa Bay area that is good with suspension systems on Volvo's, besides dealerships, and the guys not 70 or older?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Volvos have some of the simplest suspension setups ever designed. Any independent mechanics shop should be able to do the suspension work for ya.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks LifesGood.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 to what Lifesgood said.
Just about any indie shop will let you supply your own parts. Just talk to one first then you can get an EMPI right front axle from FCP for $99.95 and just pay the shop labor. You'll be out the door for a whole lot less then $800.
Volvo CV Axle Shaft Front Right (S40 V40) - EMPI 80-7818 | FCP Euro

On a side note, between the prices your dealer there trying to get you to pay for an axle and a CAT is kinda on the ridiculous side. Not to bad mouth them or anything like that but they're not looking like the most honest and fair bunch of folks. I'd start looking for another dealer or find an indie shop you feel good about and start going there. That's just my humble opinion.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by S40 in Fla
Can anybody recommend a mechanic in the Tampa Bay area that is good with suspension systems on Volvo's, besides dealerships, and the guys not 70 or older?
These guys got some good reviews from some of the members on Volvospeed.com.

LUDEK'S EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE OF TAMPA FLORIDA FOR EUROPEAN AUTO REPAIRS AND SERVICE

Wouldn't hurt checking them out.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Thank-you Guys!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Great, Ludek's is not far from where I work. Thanks. My buddy at the muffler shop says he can do my axle for $200. Wow, that sounds so much better than the dealer at $812.34 + taxes.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Very cool. Sounds like a win, win on the axle and O2 sensor for you.
You should take your buddy a case of his favorite brew for saving you all that money the dealer was trying to over charge you!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great, Ludek's is not far from where I work. Thanks. My buddy at the muffler shop says he can do my axle for $200. Wow, that sounds so much better than the dealer at $812.34 + taxes.
I mean the OEM axle does cost about $450 but the passanger side can be replaced just under 15min and 10 if you know what you are doing.Aftermarket axles are about a hundred but I personally had very bad experiences with those would never buy another one.I rather opt for a used one from a wrecker for $100..Now I hope your buddy does supply that axle for that $200

Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by GerBeGurGya
I mean the OEM axle does cost about $450 but the passanger side can be replaced just under 15min and 10 if you know what you are doing.Aftermarket axles are about a hundred but I personally had very bad experiences with those would never buy another one.I rather opt for a used one from a wrecker for $100..Now I hope your buddy does supply that axle for that $200
Yes my friend with the brake and muffler shop says he can change out right front axle for $200. I did try and bargain with him by saying if I get the parts would he install them and he said ya he'll work with me. Should I do left front axle as well? Going to go to this shop near my work for some more look at it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM

And according to new set of eyes, axle does not need to be replaced. But ball joint on lower front left does, 'cause too much play.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM

And according to new set of eyes, axle does not need to be replaced. But ball joint on lower front left does, 'cause too much play.
Ok, here's the latest on my underside noises: dealer replaced strut mounts, front brake pads, still had some noise, opted for different shop to look at, they said ball joints probably need replacing. Replaced control arms which included ball joints and bushings, replaced tie rod ends and sway bars. Now noises have picked up a little, brakes make noise when applied, and something still feels loose under there? Had local shop take a look, they said they need more time to diagnose, probably disassemble some stuff and see whats what. I did go back to dealer to see if struts were bad, I thought they replaced them, only the mounts, they said struts were fine. I did have one motor mount, left, replaced last year. They don't think axle is bad. Any more ideas?

Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 PM

check the sway bar frame bushings. Its a very annoyingly difficult job to do, but easy to diagnose. pry bar on the subframe (as you would an end link) and the sway bar, underneath toward ither side of the subframe.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but it'll be a Chinese axle that won't last. I've researched this and the best place to get OEM quality axles is raxles.com. Except they don't supply drive axles for your car. So.....you need to buy your drive axles from axlesunlimitedinc.com, which also sells OEM quality axles and does supply axles for your car.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by GerBeGurGya
15 minutes? Must be some tricks there. I may have to do the drive axles on both sides of my 2000 V40. I'd appreciate any pointers you have on how to do this job. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by migbro
15 minutes? Must be some tricks there. I may have to do the drive axles on both sides of my 2000 V40. I'd appreciate any pointers you have on how to do this job. Thanks!
no tricks.

remove wheel and tire

remove lower ball joint from spindle

remove axle nut er bolt or what ever it is.

remove axle

-----------

with air tools this makes it a piece of cake.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
no tricks.

remove wheel and tire

remove lower ball joint from spindle

remove axle nut er bolt or what ever it is.

remove axle

-----------

with air tools this makes it a piece of cake.
Thank you! Driver's side the same? I've heard that getting the axle to release from the transmission can be difficult. There's a circlip or something on the end of the axle.

Quick Reply: 2001 feels a little loose underneath