Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

some notes on my 04.5 S40 T5

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004.5 S40 T5 / need feedback guys on some issues

Finally, i bought the car i wished for since i saw one in 2005! although i wanted a white one, i got the passion red one and it looks HOT.

1- when i 1st got it, their was a weird bump sound when on the right front wheel even at low speeds on uneven roads. i thought it was the suspension or shocks, but the mechanic told me it was the 'engine seat" (excuse my english). it is something located just under the water tank. it cost me more than $170 cuz it was only found at the dealer! anyway, it was fixed and it all good now, but i noticed that the vibration from the engine increased a but, i could feel it a bit on the steering wheel or when my foot is on the break pedal.

2- i did not do any liquid or oil changes, the mechanic told me they are good and would last for a couple or thousand miles. but i noticed that their is a delay in gear change, like if i was going down hill and i go from 4th to 3rd, their is a sight delay, is that normal?! also on 3rd gear, it seems like their are 2 gears in it, dunno if i put that right. Say i went from 4th to 3rd, i would notice the rpm increase slightly, then a half a second or so and the major increase would take place.

3- i want to clean the engine and all their is that could be cleaned. plz tell me what i can do on my own, and the tools and stuff i need.

4- i don't really like the exhaust look, can i make them straight? they are bend downwards! and i want the car to make that sexy sound like a 350z or infitini g35

5- also i noticed that when i leave the car parked for 5+ hours, when i drive it after the steering wheel is a bit hard to steer an inch or so to the left! it's like their is something stuck and i need to turn it a bit harder. why is that!?

6- the car is fast, but i was expecting it to be faster, and during late quite nights when i'm in the neighborhood i could hear the whistle like sound of the turbo, but it's really low. normal? how to test the turbo is it's working?

7- i noticed that a lot of heat comes out of the engine area! the engine temp is normal. just today it was hot, around 90 F, i had the AC on, drove for around 30 miles, and when i reached home, i felt great heat so i wanted to open the hood and i burned my finger tips a bit! but i opened it and the engine felt like it was on fire! normal!?

hope you guys can help me with these issues.
thanks

Last edited by loai; 04-17-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding #6, you're not going to hear an insane hiss from the stock turbo on this car. At most it's a modest whine as it spools up. I believe the turbo on our (very similar) S40s is like 0.7 bar which is just over 10psi maximum - so it's definitely a light-pressure one.

I seem to get slightly better performance and fuel economy by using 93 octane fuel. If you're worried that your Turbo isn't working properly, I'd let Volvo look at it - as well as your power steering issue.