Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 S40 ABS light after front bearings replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S40 ABS light after front bearings replaced

I just had the front bearings replaced at 115k miles as the driver side was really bad. When driving away the ABS light came on and I am trying to decide whether to take it back to the same small shop or go to another shop that I know is good. During the process the manager and I were cordial but there were some misunderstandings and lack of communication and delays on their part so I would rather not engage them again if I can avoid it.

Does anyone know if it is typical to get some dirt or other obstruction that could cause abs sensor failure when working in that area? The shop claims the bearings were bad for so long that some mud got on/in it. I've done some research and it is not too difficult of a job to clean or replace the sensor.

So the dilemma is should let this shop have another whack at the car or just take it somewhere else that I know is competent? I don't mind paying a little more but I would rather not to that shop and my confidence that they will make it right and not charge is low. You would think they would test drive the car and not hand it back that way.

As an aside, the rear bearings were replaced at 54.5k miles at the dealer on my dime.

Thanks for any advice or assistance.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

What brand is the replacement bearing?

Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
What brand is the replacement bearing?
That is a good question. I had to do all this by phone so I went with the middle of the three options of bearings he gave me. The top choice was so expensive like twice as much as the dealer wants. I will find out tomorrow morning what he really used. Family members have been doing the drop offs and pick ups

Does the brand have any "bearing" on the situation regarding the ABS light.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Not in particular. But I have had several customers come in after having another shop install cheap aftermarket bearings. I don't know what brand they were. But putting in an OEM one took care of it.

They also could have broken a sensor, of course.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:43 PM

That is useful information Thanks again ES6T. I will post an update when this gets resolved which may take a few days.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by breakman
That is useful information Thanks again ES6T. I will post an update when this gets resolved which may take a few days.
It is highly likely that the code is related to the work done. Not sure about the 2005 but on the older vintage you might need to take the entire spindle out to use a machine press to get the bearing out. To do so you would need to unplug the abs sensor from the spindle to remove from the car. It may simply be a case of not having re-plugged the abs sensor cable up behind the wheel well cover or it might be that they damaged the abs reluctor ring on the hub when they removed/re-installed the hub.

In view of above I would suggest you go back to same place.

Last edited by pierremcalpine; 05-14-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine
It is highly likely that the code is related to the work done. Not sure about the 2005 but on the older vintage you might need to take the entire spindle out to use a machine press to get the bearing out. To do so you would need to unplug the abs sensor from the spindle to remove from the car. It may simply be a case of not having re-plugged the abs sensor cable up behind the wheel well cover or it might be that they damaged the abs reluctor ring on the hub when they removed/re-installed the hub.

In view of above I would suggest you go back to same place.
I had my local chain automotive place where I am on a first name basis with all the service managers take a look at it. The left sensor worked ok after some cleaning and the right they replaced first with a sensor that didn't work. They then tried the left one on the right side so they ordered another one and that resolved it. Another two days in the shop and $160.00.

The country bumpkin could have taken care of all of this and won a new customer. Both of theses service places charged more for parts than what the can be bought from the Volvo dealer which I am not sure how to deal with. I would done the sensosr myself with the cheap ford ones if I had known the chain place would have the car most of Saturday too.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I just have to get the front strut noises resolved for which I have an appointment at an independent shop for next Tuesday. Thanks for all the replies.