Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 S40 T5 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S40 T5 Mods

Looking to get some opinions on a couple mods I have been thinking about doing.

First are some bigger and black rims...current are OEM 17s, some people are powder painting them rather then replacing but I wanted something a bit larger and my local (Ontario, Canada) rim stores are just stocked (sarcasm) with compatible rims so if anybody has any suggestions for online or local orders that would be great.

Second is the sound, I am thinking of exhaust/muffler upgrade with a intake of some kind and am curious about best combinations of either, or opinions if I would need to replace either. Performance is second to sound imo since the stock turbo has decent hp for myself but if sound also brings some performance I would not say no.

As for headlights I wanted some brighter ones rather than the stock, recently purchased some china made high brightness white lights but it seems these are less bright (although a nice white light) than the stocks, any suggestions? I am leaning away from a HID upgrade due to issues (error message, etc...) that come along with it and the complexity in having them installed and issues resolved.

Also I am looking for some sort of upgrade to the (premium) sound system (no in dash cd changer). I hacked in a sub and amp to the rear speakers since hooking it up to the factory unit is not possible (could be wrong) and I was looking at any sort of aux-in addition. FM Trasmitter is awful sound and from what I could find the only other option is a $600 Gateway dension or an FM modulator, which is the best/easiest/cheapest solution for an aux-in plug?

I looked around the forums and there are scattered information and very different opinions on either, a lot of people are also DIY for most of these modifications, whereas I am not and would like the choices I make to be something I can get a shop/store to do, or myself if it is easy enough.

Thanks a lot,

Damir

Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by DamiR
As for headlights I wanted some brighter ones rather than the stock, recently purchased some china made high brightness white lights but it seems these are less bright (although a nice white light) than the stocks, any suggestions? I am leaning away from a HID upgrade due to issues (error message, etc...) that come along with it and the complexity in having them installed and issues resolved.
HIDs are an extremely easy install to do, and you'll be happy you did it. All you need to do is go to http://hidnation.com/ and select "H11 HID kits" on the left. For color select 6,000k since you want bright white. Choose which size ballast you want, choose a warranty, and INCLUDE a canceller. EXCLUDE Relay. You don't need a Relay.

You can find a million and one tutorials online of how to install your HID kit, and it's pretty similar on every car. I can even walk you through the general idea.

A HID kit is DEFINITELY the way to go. It's an easy and relatively cheap upgrade that you will be very happy you did.

As far as an air intake and exhaust systems, you should check out http://eurosporttuning.ca/ or http://elevatecars.com/ as they both have good stuff for that. Or you can be bold and build your own intake like myself and others have done.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mmnewcomb
HIDs are an extremely easy install to do, and you'll be happy you did it. All you need to do is go to http://hidnation.com/ and select "H11 HID kits" on the left. For color select 6,000k since you want bright white. Choose which size ballast you want, choose a warranty, and INCLUDE a canceller. EXCLUDE Relay. You don't need a Relay.

You can find a million and one tutorials online of how to install your HID kit, and it's pretty similar on every car. I can even walk you through the general idea.

A HID kit is DEFINITELY the way to go. It's an easy and relatively cheap upgrade that you will be very happy you did.

As far as an air intake and exhaust systems, you should check out Car Accessories & Performance Parts For AUDI, BMW, VOLVO, Volkswagen - EuroSport Tuning, Canada & US or Welcome To Elevate Cars | Elevate Cars as they both have good stuff for that. Or you can be bold and build your own intake like myself and others have done.
I heard that the kits set off error messages and getting rid of those is difficult....not true with the kits you mentioned?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Yes if you install the kit without the cancelers I mentioned it sets off low beam bulb failure messages and your lights will flicker. Adding the cancelers to the system stops the flicker and the error messages.