Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 Volvo s40 key erro ...Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Volvo s40 key erro ...Help

I need help, so I was driving the car all fine until The next day in the morning I was leaving for work and It didn’t wanna crank at all I had got a “key error try again” and my radio had no power also, so I jumped the car still nothing, I had got the key problem fixed and still nothing the Volvo dealership told me they didn’t know what the problem was that it might be a electrical problem and I’m not sure what it could be.........I checked fuses and relays there all good

Old 05-17-2020, 01:42 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

What "key problem" did you fix?

If the actual message on your dash was "Steering Locked, Please try again" - that points to the SCL (Steering Column Lock) mechanism. Lots of threads on that one (basically, remove, clean, lube and reinstall).

Did you get an immobilizer "key symbol" on the dash when you tried to start it?

Just a long-shot - try locking and unlocking the doors five times quickly with the remote. Sometimes that will clear up a "forgotten key" issue.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
What "key problem" did you fix?

If the actual message on your dash was "Steering Locked, Please try again" - that points to the SCL (Steering Column Lock) mechanism. Lots of threads on that one (basically, remove, clean, lube and reinstall).

Did you get an immobilizer "key symbol" on the dash when you tried to start it?

Just a long-shot - try locking and unlocking the doors five times quickly with the remote. Sometimes that will clear up a "forgotten key" issue.
all it’s says is “key error please try again”

Old 09-14-2023, 11:51 AM
Default My solution

I had gotten the “Key Error Try Again” message on my ‘06 S40 2.4L, I tried everything for HOURS. I’m talking like jump boxes, both fuse boxes, professional code reader, 50 YouTube videos, new batteries in both of my key fobs with no luck whatsoever. At a certain point, the dash stopped working all together. I went home and tried to use my spare key thinking since it was a different key it’d work. NOPE.

after leaving it for a night, I tried again the next day. And I did the one thing that I should’ve done from the get go….

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FOR A FEW MINUTES, AND RE-F’ING-CONNECT IT.

Started right back up. No codes and messages, and no problems since!