Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Rubbing Sounds from Front End after curb bounce

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing Sounds from Front End after curb bounce

Hi Folks...first time poster here ;-)
I have a 2000 Volvo S40 with 114k miles (certified dealer maintenance up to 88k). I bought the car at auction with 111,000 iles on it (was a repossession).

At/Since 111k miles I have replaced the following parts: Front Struts, Strut Bushings/Mounts, Distributors/Spark Plug wires, Spark Plugs, Timing Belt, Timing Gears, Cam Seals, Belt Auto-Tensioner, Water Pump, Oil Pump, Gaskets, PCV Box, PCV piping/hoses, Transmission Flush,Coolant Flush, Vacuum Hoses, Fuel Filter, Thermostat, Heat-wrap to all electrical wiring and Vacuum hoses over heat of engine, Several Oil Changes and use of Rislone mild oil detergent with Mobile 1 High Mileage Synthetic Oil to help clean non-synthetic oil crusted deposits inside valve cover etc. I wanted to start this car off with a new, fresh chance at a long life ;-) Enough with the background...

Auto's issue is...when I turn into my driveway at an angle (so front wheels are turned), there is a slight upward curb at the street that will bounce the car in the front...immediately when bumped, the front end will make a rubbing noise (NOT a grinding, not a clicking, not a clunking...but a rubbing sound from the front end). and this will continue for a few front wheel revolutions until steering straightened and maybe even then for a revolution or two. This has happened as well once or twice when turning tight corners at speed but not nearly as noticeable.

My initials thoughts on root cause are:
Wheel Bearing (but no noticeable play in front wheels when jacked)
CV Joint/Half-axle

Has anyone experienced this issue?
Not trying to be rude, but to save everyone's time, please ONLY provide an answer if you have experience-based ideas... A simple "Nope", helps no-one ;-)

Many thanks Folks! Very much appreciate your expertise here...

Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This sounds like the water/dust shield on the front wheel hub is barely touching the rotor and when turning, the slack in the front bearings with the turning load makes it touch.

This is a common problem when people are not careful when doing wheel removal.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Wow - fantastic lead here Tony - sure do appreciate it! Is it simply a bending back of the water/dust shield to create more room? If so, I'll give it a try to see if resolves.
With the "Slack in the front bearings" - do you recommend replacing the wheel bearings at this point?

Cheers,
Sean

Old 07-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Just rotate the hub assembly with the wheel removed, using a flashlight to see if the dust/water shield is close in a certain area. If so, just bend it back a bit. Nothing hard, just a tweak.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanks Tony - Will do!