Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Cam shaft sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam shaft sensor

Hi, I have a Volvo s40, 2003.
I have been having problems with the acceleration especially going up hill (sometimes i can only reach 30mph) or over taking cars. There just doesnt seem to be any power there. I think it started when I went really low in gas, although this maybe a co-incidence.
It does drive and can reach proper speeds but its like the power has dropped, it is also hard to start in the mornings - not sure if this is the battery or the starter.
I have had it plugged in and Camshaft sensor came up and also speed sensor...? I bought a second hand camshaft sensor but that didnt make any difference.
Anyone any ideas. I really know nothing about cars so any advice would be very helpful.. Im not sure if its worth spending too much more money on her..especially if it is a bigger issue.
Thanks!

Old 02-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Describe the "hard to start in the morning" a little more. Does it crank over for a long time before finally starting? If yes, then I would guess a fuel pressure regulator fault. It's a very common failure. The FPR is a bit pricey these days. RockAuto has them for $120 for an aftermarket brand. IPD has them for $220 for a genuine Volvo part. http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7057/...ulator-s40-v40

The test is to check the fuel pressure. If the FPR has failed the fuel pressure will not hold after shutting off the engine. The shrader valve (for testing) is located on the fuel rail on the front of the engine. A fuel pressure tester can be had for cheap at Harbor Freight.

Now the camshaft sensor fault is not normally the actual sensor. If you are lucky it's simply a bad or clogged camshaft actuator solenoid. This is the part that directs oil to the CVVT gear to adjust your camshaft timing. It sits on top of the engine under the plastic beauty cover. Pricey at $132 (FCP Euro) plus core. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...t-cam-36002683

If you (like me) are unlucky it's the CVVT gear itself. This sucker is $186 at FCP Euro and is the bane of our little car's engine. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...40-v40-6900015 This gear is the cause of many headaches. Unfortunately I don't know if there exists a way of testing whether it's the Solenoid above or the CVVT gear here. I ended up replacing both after a new solenoid failed to fix the issue. I did the work myself for the cost of parts but you must consider labor costs too.

Last edited by Hudini; 02-23-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for you reply.
She does start but it takes about a minute, i turn the key and she just keeps turning over until she kicks in.

Do you think what I am describing tho is the camshaft sensor? As in the lack of power etc.?

Old 02-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Do you have a check engine light on? There's a few different things which can cause a law of power and starting issues, hopefully the culprit will generate an OBD2 fault code which can help triage the problem. If you are near a big box autoparts store, they may read the OBD2 codes for you for free.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It could be in "limp home" mode if it is actually the cam sensor. I would definitely check things out first. Don't just throw money at it. Check the fuel pressure and check if there is a cam sensor signal.