Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   Clicking noise on start up 1.9t (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/clicking-noise-start-up-1-9t-93870/)

wds 09-12-2017 03:56 PM

Clicking noise on start up 1.9t

I have 2001 S40 1.9T with 177,000 kms and I started to get a clicking noise on start up cold as well as warm, it goes away after about 3-5 minutes. Does nayone know what this could be? I changed the oil/filter approx every 6000 kms with Penzoil and always use synthetic oil Thank you

mt6127 09-12-2017 07:08 PM

does the clicking change tempo with engine rpms? what happens if you turn on/off the AC? does it change sound if you turn on headlights/rear defrost and other electric loads? Can you sense the source listing under the hood - ie driver's side by the firewall or front of the engine by the radiator or by the passenger tire wheel well?

wds 09-13-2017 09:25 AM

Thank your for your response. I have not tried any of those things you suggest. The tapping noise sounds like it is coming from the drivers side at the back of the motor near the firewall. I did not want to rev the engine when it is cold. FYG I had the VVT repaired about 6 months ago and they also changed the timing belt and water pump.

s40_Ontario 09-13-2017 09:15 PM

brake booster? It is on the firewall, driver's side kinda like a pop can and clicks after start-up until engine vacuum takes over in a few minutes. Usually hear when engine is cold when brakes applied.

wds 09-14-2017 11:11 AM

Wow, your reply on the brake booster, is a new one to me! Very interesting, I will have to bring the car in to get checked. Thank you
Bill

Hudini 09-19-2017 10:04 AM

Another issue is a loose nut on the exhaust manifold. When cold you hear a sewing machine sound. As the car heats up the sound goes away as the gap tightens.

wds 09-20-2017 09:53 AM

Tapping noise engine

Hello Hudini,
Thank you, I believe this could be the problem as yesterday it semed to be coming from the exhaust and as the car warms up the noise goes away. :)

Hudini 09-25-2017 09:37 AM

It's pretty easy to check with the engine cold. Remove the bolts holding the heat shield. Then feel around for loose nuts on the exhaust manifold studs. I had to lay on the engine itself as it's a very uncomfortable position for your lower back.

wds 09-26-2017 10:53 AM

Thank you so very much, I will bring it in to get checked out by my Volvo mechanic and advise him the problem as I don't have a proper garage to do it in! Have a great day!

Oodlemi 09-27-2017 01:31 PM

f you think you have an exhaust leak, try using a piece of hose as a stethoscope. No more than a 2cm outside diameter. You can pinpoint any noise in your engine compartment easily that way. You really should rev it just to see if the noise changes. Usually ticking at startup is due to lifters being cold and considered normal but I am used to pushrod v8 engines.