Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

correct fuel injector for 2006 S40 2.4i? please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default correct fuel injector for 2006 S40 2.4i? please help

Can anyone help me figure out the correct fuel injector for my car? 2006 S40 2.4i

I got a Bosch 0280158315 / Volvo 30757534 to replace a dead injector; the injector is visually different (black instead of brown, different housing shape) than the other 4 injectors, and now I'm having new problems.

Multiple sites I went to showed this as the correct injector for a 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i, and this is the injector my local shop sold me based on their supplier's vehicle fitment database. However looking around more, I see other sites saying the is NOT the right injector, and listing it only for the Turbo. The sites that list this injector as only for the turbo list no injector for the 2.4i. (ie. FCPEuro. RMEuropean, others... literally, you tell those sites you have a 2006 S40 2.4i and there are no fuel injectors listed at all).

If I search amazon for "Volvo 30757534" I get two listings - one says it fits my car, the other says it doesn't (but both say they fit if I switch my car to the Turbo engine).

I can't find any site saying some OTHER volvo part number is for my car, though I did find this listing for a 5-injector "genuine volvo" set: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/161...r-Set-8699450/ - the injectors shown there are the ones on my car except that the little clips on mine are yellow. But as far as I can tell that number 8699450 is the part number for the set, it has nothing to do with the part number for the injectors themselves (and if I search that part number at some of the other sites, I get zero results).

After everything I've looked at, I simply can't tell what the correct injector part number is for my car, nor whether the 2.4i and 2.5T actually do use the same injector. Some sites say yes, others say no. I'm tearing my hair out (and I have little left!).

Does anyone know for certain the correct Volvo or Bosch part number for the 2006 S40 2.4i?

Last edited by johnsonx42; 10-20-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:29 AM

ok, I think I may have finally figured this out, at least to a point. I think the OE injectors in the 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i are Denso 8627815 or 8699450 (or maybe 86994506). I think the Bosch 0280158315 (aka Bosch 62722, aka Volvo 30757534) is apparently OE for the 2.5T, however *appears* to be an alternate for the Denso in the 2.4i as well. This still isn't completely clear, and in some cases I see the Denso injectors listed for the 2.5T as well. Perhaps they are alternates both ways, or perhaps the Denso's are strictly for the 2.4i and the Bosch are strictly for the 2.5T and all listings showing alternate use are mistakes. I just wish I was finding more consistency about this at the different sites, and Volvo's USA parts site is no help as they no longer list the S40.

It does seem that the Denso and Bosch injectors are different, and I probably should not have 4 Denso and 1 Bosch injector in my 2.4i. My debate now is whether to take the cheap way out and just get a single reman Denso injector to replace the new Bosch, or get 5 Denso's to replace them all, or get 4 more of the Bosch and replace the old Denso's. Obviously the latter would be a bad idea if the Bosch injectors are truly wrong for the 2.4i

Last edited by johnsonx42; 10-21-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

I like to use the excellent cross-referencing capability of rockauto.com to check things like this. Sure, it's always possible that they have something listed that's not right, but in general they tend to have as clean and accurate a parts list as anyone else.

FWIW, they list different injectors for the two motors (the turbo and NA) but there are a couple of the injectors that are shared on both lists, but most aren't. Here's the list (hopefully it'll pop up fully configured so you can see the two sets of options): https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+injector,6224

Also FWIW, I would never intentionally set up a motor with different fuel injectors - if there are any differences (and there most likely will be), I can't imagine the ECU being able to fine-tune the one cylinder to adjust. Injectors are cheap compared to even a tiny drop in overall gas mileage, or worse, repairing any problems caused by one cylinder running extra-lean or rich.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:38 PM

thanks, I found the same site in my searching, in fact that one led me to several of my conclusions. It's nice to hear a vote of confidence in that site.

The fact that some injectors are listed for both the Turbo and Non-Turbo, and others are not, leads me to believe confusion on this point is wide-spread. The one thing I find consistent is that on any site that shows different injectors for the Turbo and Non-Turbo, the Bosch injector I have is NEVER listed for the Non-Turbo.

So, I guess I'm going to have to toss the $100 Bosch injector I bought. At least the remanfactured Denso injectors are cheap.

This will now be the second time I've been screwed by bad fitment info and put a Turbo part in my car to ill effect. The first time was a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor; Amazon assured me I was ordering the correct sensor for my car, but it caused my fuel pump to buzz loudly and a P0172 too rich code; later when I went back and looked at the same part, Amazon then said "This part does NOT fit your car". From what I could see on my OBD II reader the sensor was calibrated for a different range, and read a pressure 20psi too low so the ECU couldn't get the pressure high enough no matter how hard it pounded on the fuel pump.

Come to think of it, as the Fuel Rail Pressure sensor is different for the Turbo it follows that the fuel pressure is different for the turbo, and if the fuel pressure is different then it follows that the injectors would be different. Not necessarily, the same injector would simply spray more fuel at a higher pressure, but injectors are probably spec'd for specific pressure ranges.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

My guess (and I repeat "guess") is that a fairly wide range of injector performance will work, and that some injectors have specs that will allow them to be used in turbo and NA applications, while others won't. I would bet that the spec that differentiates them is the working pressure spec, which would (based on your previous experience with the FP regulator) be different between the two. And in any case, you're going to be better off with slightly lower-quality injectors that all match than having one or two "good ones", IMHO.

Well, the good news is that all this nonsense is still better than dealing with carburetors... ;-)