Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

a coupleof questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default a coupleof questions

I have an 02 Volvo s40 and recently my fan seems like it is louder and pretty much stays on the whold time that my AC is running. I had it next to a honday Accord and my fan was so loud you couldnt even here the accord while the engine was running. I have no engine light but another symtom I am having is while the AC is on and on high... the air can be very strong for one second and then be very weak another. It definetely is cold though...I wonder if these two things can be related.

Also, I just recently had a tune up and ever since, my car cranks much longer everytime I start it? What an that be....Sometimes it cranks two or three times and sometimes about ten times beofre it starts?

and finally- How much can I expect to change my Timing belt for. Should I have anything else done at the same time? and can I have a local shop do It or Volvo?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: a coupleof questions

The Fan is supposed to run when the A/C is on.

Do you use recirc?

What kind of Plugs were put in?

about $400.00 or so for Timing Belt install. I would also to the tensioner and idler pulleys.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that what you would quote for a timing belt change? or is that Volvo's price?

Old 07-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Last I knew that was about average for most places.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AC on my 2002 S40 did the same thing; it was set on high, but would be weak then strong (back & forth). Finally, after several months, it wouldn't shut off... it blew full strength constantly!!!

If this happens to you, you have to look BELOW your glove compartment... remove the cover (not the glove box, but underneath it... the cover is attached with 2 screws. There is a small black rectangle (about 3"x2") under the cover. I can't remember what this is called, but I had to replace this piece. I called around to the local junk yards & found one for $10. It's worth a try before taking it to the volvo place & having them charge you hundreds of dollars by replacing unnecessary parts. If you can't figure out what this is called, email me & I'll research it for you. Kimela@charter.net

As far as the tune up, did you also have the ignition coils replaced? This is a recurring problem on the volvos for whatever reason. (just look around on this forum & you'll see). If you don't replace the ignition coils, you're likely to have all sorts of problems.

Timing belt - everything I've read says to change this around 105,000 miles... which is better than most cars. I had an Isuzu SUV & a Honda Accord previously - they both suggested replacing the belt at 80K.

Hope this info helps!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 AM

thanks for the feedback. I have replaced both coils and the spark plugs are volvo parts. I havent had the starting problem before this?

And...I guess the volvo fan is farely loud right?

Does anyone know what the part is called for the pst right before this that would cause the ac problem?

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:42 AM

the fan stays on in recirc and without. It really seams much louder than other cars. Is it known to be very loud or is there anything I can check for that?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Administrator

The fan is louder than I have ever heard on any other car.