Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Any luck with volvo CS out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any luck with volvo CS out of warranty

My '05 S40 likes AC clutches. Really likes them.
I have 208000 miles on it.
First one died in the late 50k miles area. Had it replaced by a dealership. Had it replaced by another dealership a month later when it failed again (first dealership installed it incorrectly).
Hit a deer at 82k miles and the entire compressor was replaced.
Had it replaced 2 years ago at 155k miles. June 10, 2011 to be exact. I know this because the clutch now has a 2 year warranty.
When it was picked up that day, it failed again, they brought it back to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce.
Brought it in several times last summer and they couldn't get it to fail while we were there with it.

I brought it in last week when it failed and did not turn the car off until I had a tech look at it. Not the clutch. Wanted me to bring it in this week. So I brought it in this morning and gave them a ride to my work and they drove it back. They agreed it wasn't a freon issue.
He called a few hours later, "would you believe it, it is the clutch again!"
No ** Sherlock, that's what we've told you for 2 years.

Well, it seems my warranty on the clutch expired 8 days ago. So I have to pay for a new clutch and repair.

My car came home with me. Scanning all clutch repair invoices and sending to the dealership to see if they will just replace the darn thing already (I mentioned shimming (or removing one) and they quick researched it and said it was a bandaid).
I'm not paying the dealership to replace it again.

If it does need to be replaced and Volvo won't cover it, the dealership won't be touching it.

The dealership does not document the times we stopped in and grabbed a tech, only times I brought it in and left it.

So anybody had luck going directly to Volvo. THe sucker is just out of warranty and I was there LAST WEEK with it.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Good will is case by case, but from what I've seen get covered, I would bet they cover this.