Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement

Hi all,

I am about to attempt to replace my engine myself, what advice or gotchas do you all have for me???
I have never done this before, I work on my cars as a hobby so I am not a complete newbie to the concept of auto work but I do realize I don't know what I don't know so please if you have the time let me know how hard you think this is. Thankfully time is not an issue as I have a garage and a second car to drive.

thank you,

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 PM

I've done it. Here's my thread on it:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...rebuild-68919/

The book says to remove with the transmission but I didn't. It's tight but can be done. To give yourself some extra room, I would recommend removing the oil cooler, crank pulley, and tensioner. You'll be able to move the engine far enough over to avoid damaging the flex plate. Also, the drive axle is bolted to a bracket on the engine block. Not a bad job really. Take pics and mark wires/hoses so you know where everything goes. Also a great time to replace your oil trap. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Default engine replacement, different clutch plates

I need some help in what to do next with my engine replacement.
I have a volvo s40, 2005 and the engine is fried due to a broken timing belt. So I found a brand new engine, same year, same model (S40 Turbo) and I started the job.
I took the old engine out (including transmission), and today I unbolted the transmission and noticed that the clutch plates look different.
The first two pictures are of the transmission and the clutch of the original engine.
The third picture is of the clutch plate of the new engine (slightly superficial rust.
What part do I need, or how can I remove the clutch of the old engine.
Any help appreciated

Attached Thumbnails Engine replacement-img_0039.jpg   Engine replacement-img_0037.jpg   Engine replacement-img_0035.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wilco.k
I need some help in what to do next with my engine replacement.
I have a volvo s40, 2005 and the engine is fried due to a broken timing belt. So I found a brand new engine, same year, same model (S40 Turbo) and I started the job.
I took the old engine out (including transmission), and today I unbolted the transmission and noticed that the clutch plates look different.
The first two pictures are of the transmission and the clutch of the original engine.
The third picture is of the clutch plate of the new engine (slightly superficial rust.
What part do I need, or how can I remove the clutch of the old engine.
Any help appreciated

The first picture is not a clutch, its a torque converter. The third is a clutch. The donor engine was from a car with a manual transmission. You'll need to swap the flexplate and torque converter from your old engine to the new one.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Default removing torque converter

Thanks very much for your help.
Can you help me in how to remove the torque converter?
(and the clutch from the donor engine?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

You have to unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate. Remove the starter if you haven't already and turn the engine to access the bolts. Then you'll see the bolts holding the flexplate to the crankshaft.

The clutch unbolts from the flywheel, the bolts are along outside.

When going back together, install the torque converter onto the transmission and make sure it is all the way on. Bolt the flexplate to the converter after the engine and transmission are together.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Since you didnt take out he trans, about how many bolts hold it in place? anything else you suggest?

thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by Disco2
I've done it. Here's my thread on it:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...rebuild-68919/

The book says to remove with the transmission but I didn't. It's tight but can be done. To give yourself some extra room, I would recommend removing the oil cooler, crank pulley, and tensioner. You'll be able to move the engine far enough over to avoid damaging the flex plate. Also, the drive axle is bolted to a bracket on the engine block. Not a bad job really. Take pics and mark wires/hoses so you know where everything goes. Also a great time to replace your oil trap. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 PM

I think it was 12 bolts. There's 2 on the back side, above the motor mount that were a pain to get to. Can't think of anything else that I didn't mention in that thread.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM

thank you Hope it goes well

Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
<snip>
When going back together, install the torque converter onto the transmission and make sure it is all the way on. Bolt the flexplate to the converter after the engine and transmission are together.
As written above this is VERY important! Slip the torque convertor over the input shaft of the transmission FIRST. Then mate the engine and trans together. Only then should you bolt the torque convertor to the flexplate. (Make sure you remove the flywheel from the new engine and replace it with the flexplate of the old engine too) I made the mistake of bolting the torque convertor to the flexplate first then trying to mount the trans only to fight with it for hours before the clue light came on.