Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Message center/Cluster going crazy w/messages

Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Message center/Cluster going crazy w/messages

My 07 S40 2.4i had an episode yesterday. First the doors wouldn't unlock with the remote so I had to use the key blade, matter of fact the remote would not cmmunticate with the car at all. Later it would work intermittently, then the car didn't want to start on the first two tries. On the drive home the speedo,odometer,fuel gauge and tach all quit working and the dash lights blacked out and it started running a little rough briefly. It then started flashing all kinds of crazy messages. "SRS AIR BAG SERVICE URGENT,FULL GUARD, KEY ERROR TRY AGAIN, BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURE, REDUCED GUARD SEE MANUAL".
Were all being displayed at one time or another. The turnsignals quit working as well. After I got home and shut it down the car apparently thought the key was in the ignition because the doors would automatically unlock after I manually locked them. I had the car in before because the headlights dim and flicker when the ABS engages or even when you make a sudden turn on the wheel. I also have a slight vibration on accel that both have been deemed "normal" by my dealer, which happens to be the only dealer within 1+ hours. Needless to say the car is in there loving hands again, hopefull this isn't deemed "normal" also. I'll post and let ya know how it goes.

Last edited by jasonl; 03-20-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM

That is some crazy **** right there! I hope this never happens to me!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Well unfortunately the dealer called my wife and the news, well it doesn't really suprise me. They said the car had 30+ codes so the "reset" everything and tried it and now it's fine. They didn't say anything about a reflash/update or anything, just a reset. They also revisited my dimming headlights and said it is the alternator delay and that every Volvo's lights dim when theres a load put on it. Any one else experience this? The vibration, well that's where things get bad. They tell me I owe them $82 because they took the wheels off and cleaned the dirt from the back and rebalanced them. I explained that the vibration I was talking about as stated in my initial complaint was rpm related especially going up long grades and the car downshifts. I said it just felt more like a Kia buzzing than I would have expected a Volvo to do, but if they tell me it's normal for this 2.4i engine I could live with it. I also have snow tires on the car and the vibration I am describing was there before and after the snow tires. They tried telling me the tech took the car down the road and it almost vibrated him out of the seat. Wow, I am seriously dissapointed because I used to be a Ford certified tech for 4 years and was an interim service manager for 9 mos. and I would never have dreamed of some crazy bull crap to get $82 out of a customer. This car drives smooth as silk other than the engine/drive train buzz or vibration I am getting. I know with Ford I would automatically call tech support if I had a vehicle with 30+ codes, they told me Volvo has no such tech support. I guess all I can do is hope that it was an electrical glitch and that they will give me my car back because I am not paying $82 for tire balancing, especially when I am putting my summer tires back on this weekend. Please Volvo, get more dealers in central PA..............

Last edited by jasonl; 03-23-2009 at 03:08 PM.