Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

finally mounted my intercooler!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally mounted my intercooler!

I finally mounted my intercooler. that was not all that fun but it turned out great. now to plumb everything and figure out what threading i need for tapping a hole for that temp sensor in the stock intercooler

Old 12-25-2017, 10:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are getting there. Shouldn't cut away the frame just turn around the core to have the opening on the top.I'v got away without cutting the frame where the openings are on the middle.Now you have a structurally weakened bumper and a half blocked core.I thought I did post some photos on this.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:06 AM

I wish i didnt have to cut away some of the crash bar but i didnt have the room to mount it under. I live in a part of texas where the roads are terrible. If i put it on the bottom i wouldnt have enough ground clearance. Im hoping this will be less restrictive than stock and at least get a little air flow.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by GerBeGurGya
You are getting there. Shouldn't cut away the frame just turn around the core to have the opening on the top.I'v got away without cutting the frame where the openings are on the middle.Now you have a structurally weakened bumper and a half blocked core.I thought I did post some photos on this.
I wish i didnt have to cut away some of the crash bar but i didnt have the room to mount it under. I live in a part of texas where the roads are terrible. If i put it on the bottom i wouldnt have enough ground clearance. Im hoping this will be less restrictive than stock and at least get a little air flow. The front tow hook on my car is just destroyed and so i wanted to have the core mounted above that line so its protected.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bpc576
I wish i didnt have to cut away some of the crash bar but i didnt have the room to mount it under. I live in a part of texas where the roads are terrible. If i put it on the bottom i wouldnt have enough ground clearance. Im hoping this will be less restrictive than stock and at least get a little air flow. The front tow hook on my car is just destroyed and so i wanted to have the core mounted above that line so its protected.

Also i think that once i put it back on the car I can lower the core about another inch with spacers on the bolts hopefully

Old 12-26-2017, 03:18 AM

The core doesnt hang below the bumper cover it fits inside then there is still the lip.My car is lowered almost 3" on the front.Honestly I would just get another bumper from a junker and start over.The only thing I did cut on the bumper is the joint where the front and the rear pieces were welded together to create a flat surface.After I cut that flat the gap was still welded back to keep the strength.You dont wanna get into an accident with absolutely no protection on the front.Please don't get me wrong here just trying to help.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 AM

The core doesnt hang below the bumper cover it fits inside then there is still the lip.My car is lowered almost 3" on the front.Honestly I would just get another bumper from a junker and start over.The only thing I did cut on the bumper is the joint where the front and the rear pieces were welded together to create a flat surface.After I cut that flat the gap was still welded back to keep the strength.You dont wanna get into an accident with absolutely no protection on the front.Please don't get me wrong here just trying to help.
i measured a couple things and it seems i can drop it a couple more inches. an yes man i do appreciate your help i dont think you are trying to be a dick or anything. lucily i cut out the section in one piece. i can weld it back in no problem or as much of it as i can with the cooler still fitting. by the way did you notice any difference once you installed your cooler?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:53 AM

also how did you mount the intake temp sensor? do you know what threading it is? is it like a 3/8 npt or something universal?

Old 12-26-2017, 01:22 PM

The difference is night and day.Let me put it this way.Remember how the car doesnt wanna go during summer but it gets its life back when its cold?After the FMIC was installed that feel was gone and was like winter all the time.The IT was always as hot as the coolant which is just above 200F.Now the IT is whatever is ambient outside little higher in stop and go traffic.Thats at least a 100F drop which equals some measurable HP.
The sensor has a metric thread just measure it.Everything on this car is metric.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:37 PM

The difference is night and day.Let me put it this way.Remember how the car doesnt wanna go during summer but it gets its life back when its cold?After the FMIC was installed that feel was gone and was like winter all the time.The IT was always as hot as the coolant which is just above 200F.Now the IT is whatever is ambient outside little higher in stop and go traffic.Thats at least a 100F drop which equals some measurable HP.
The sensor has a metric thread just measure it.Everything on this car is metric.
nice. i cant wait to have it on. also I was going to eventually throw in a larger turbo. the car is tuned so it can handle a 14t turbo or dare i even say a 19t hybrid if im feeling crazy. but i was going to tighten the wastegate actuator about a turn on my stock turbo for now. any thoughts on that?

Old 12-26-2017, 04:00 PM

I have the 14t and I think it is good enough.With tune,open exhaust,FMIC,630cc injectors it will get you 250-270HP @18psi.The 19t is just too much.More turbo lag and the tranny said to be capable of handling up to 300HP.Also the hybrid has a small exhaust side so you push more in than what you let out.Not healthy.Just remember whatever tune do you have now it will have to be re-tuned after the mods.What tune do you have BTW?
Def have to get a boost gauge if you are planning to play with the boost.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:11 PM

I have the 14t and I think it is good enough.With tune,open exhaust,FMIC,630cc injectors it will get you 250-270HP @18psi.The 19t is just too much.More turbo lag and the tranny said to be capable of handling up to 300HP.Also the hybrid has a small exhaust side so you push more in than what you let out.Not healthy.Just remember whatever tune do you have now it will have to be re-tuned after the mods.What tune do you have BTW?
Def have to get a boost gauge if you are planning to play with the boost.
I have a boost gauge. i have an Upsolute tune done. it boosts to 12psi. or at least it is supposed to. i think the wastegate actuator is weak so i wanted to tighten it a turn cause im only hitting 10psi. im getting 240hp at the crank. stock injectors with 12t turbo. the tune apparently will have no problem with the 14t swap. I asked upsolute. i also have a 3 inch downpipe to a 2.5 inch straight pipe. what are your recomendations? should i tighten that wastegate actuator a turn or two. what would you do to the car in my situation to get some more pop out of it.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:31 PM

The factory boost control solenoid also known for leaks possible that you boost escapes there.You have a boost gauge so install a manual boost controller bypassing the solenoid.Up to 15psi you will not throw a CEL.Also tighten the waste-gate a bit if you feel the gate has play.
Kinda curious HP numbers you are claiming.The 12t can not push much over 200 @18psi.What I know is that Upsolute does tune up to 235 but on the 14t @15psi as thats the limit of the 420cc stock injectors.Simply put the 12t just cant get there.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:49 PM

The factory boost control solenoid also known for leaks possible that you boost escapes there.You have a boost gauge so install a manual boost controller bypassing the solenoid.Up to 15psi you will not throw a CEL.Also tighten the waste-gate a bit if you feel the gate has play.
Kinda curious HP numbers you are claiming.The 12t can not push much over 200 @18psi.What I know is that Upsolute does tune up to 235 but on the 14t @15psi as thats the limit of the 420cc stock injectors.Simply put the 12t just cant get there.
Im getting that 240 hp reading, highest its ever read, off an OBD scanner that shows all the cars data while im driving. i beleive its at the crank. not the wheels. so its probably like 205 at the wheels. maybe if that. Ill try and tighten that wastegate one turn. as for the boost controller how do i bypass that solenoid. do i leave the solenoid plugged in? will it get rid of that annoying boost venting during gear shifts in my auto transmission and just give me my actual boost instead of wasting it? IF you could tell me how to bypass that it would be awesome and what boost controller i should get. I know i have to keep one hose plugged into that sensor and then disconnect two of the hoses and put the boost controller between them???????