Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022 | 08:09 AM
|
Default Fog Lights

Good Day everyone. The 2000 Volvo S40 2.0 that I have, didn't come with Fog Lights at the front, however I now wish to install fogs.

I just went under the car to check the fitting for it & I am absolutely confused as I've never seen a fitting as such.

It says B1 on the part that clips into the plastic that the car has in place of where the Fogs would go, however I cannot seem to find anything remotely close when I do a Google search.

Pictures attached

Please advise.

Old 07-12-2022 | 08:36 AM

Unless you are installing factory fog lights, which I am not sure if you are, the plug really doesn't matter. You can just solder your own in.

I don't know if those plugs have a name. Just a standard 2 pin automotive connector.
Amazon Amazon

On my s60 my factory lenses got destroyed and I ended up putting after market fog lights in with halo's and just cut the old connectors off and wires those in. Made a custom mounting bracket too.

The following users liked this post:
AryannS40 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022 | 08:49 AM
|

Originally Posted by Dingus1
Unless you are installing factory fog lights, which I am not sure if you are, the plug really doesn't matter. You can just solder your own in.

I don't know if those plugs have a name. Just a standard 2 pin automotive connector. https://www.amazon.com/QOFOWIN-Water...085HNW9ZW?th=1

On my s60 my factory lenses got destroyed and I ended up putting after market fog lights in with halo's and just cut the old connectors off and wires those in. Made a custom mounting bracket too.
Hi buddy. Not installing factory fogs. Wanna go with clear lenses and do HID Xenons for the fogs.

Just needed confirmation if I can actually cut off these connectors and solder on my own(based on what bulbs the fog lenses come with).

Just one last thing. Is the back fog light switch on the Dash connected to the front as well? As in when I switch the back fogs on, the front will automatically come on as well?

If so, I do have the option of wiring the front fogs to a different switch altogether as I don't ever use the back fog.

Old 07-12-2022 | 08:50 AM
|

I don't know if those plugs have a name. Just a standard 2 pin automotive connector. https://www.amazon.com/QOFOWIN-Water...085HNW9ZW?th=1

The ones you linked in your reply is the exact same. Was being confused by the B1 on it.

Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Old 07-12-2022 | 08:57 AM

My P2 S60 they were different switches by the headlight switch. From looking online, it seems they are different switches for the S40 as well. I attached photos for reference. The green light is on the front fog lights, orange on the rear. I have found the rear fog lights very useful for getting people to stop driving so close to you I don't think people can tell if they are brake lights or not. Also good in snow and rain want cars behind you to see you clearly.

But for a switch, if your headlight switch assembly already has a button, you can potentially tap into it through the back to keep it looking factory inside.

AryannS40 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022 | 03:25 PM
|

My P2 S60 they were different switches by the headlight switch. From looking online, it seems they are different switches for the S40 as well. I attached photos for reference. The green light is on the front fog lights, orange on the rear. I have found the rear fog lights very useful for getting people to stop driving so close to you I don't think people can tell if they are brake lights or not. Also good in snow and rain want cars behind you to see you clearly.

But for a switch, if your headlight switch assembly already has a button, you can potentially tap into it through the back to keep it looking factory inside.

Mine looks exactly like the picture on the right however, see the fog light switch? Mine has the exact same switch however, only the bottom part works(switches on the back fog).

The top part of my switch is solid(doesn't press in like the bottom part).

I'm guessing this button(even though solid), has been put in there for a switch for the front fogs.

Old 07-12-2022 | 03:28 PM

Yeah it's blocked since you don't have the front fogs on the car. Wasn't sure if on that style it still presses or not because it is not like you can just pop a blank out and put a button in like the one on the left.

I am not sure if they use a different switch to stop the movement or what, so maybe an alternative switch would be ideal

AryannS40 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022 | 03:30 PM
|

Here we go buddy. This is exactly what mine looks like. If you notice the Fog Switch, only the BOTTOM part has a fog light symbol. The top is plain. As per my vehicle, the top part cannot be pressed or engaged in any way, it's only the bottom part, which switches on the rear fog.

Old 07-13-2022 | 03:16 AM
|

Yeah it's blocked since you don't have the front fogs on the car. Wasn't sure if on that style it still presses or not because it is not like you can just pop a blank out and put a button in like the one on the left.

I am not sure if they use a different switch to stop the movement or what, so maybe an alternative switch would be ideal
Alternate switch it is....... Besides figured I'd have ease of access to the front fogs without it being the same switch/in the same position as the back fogs

Dingus1 (07-13-2022)